Thursday, March 13, 2008

Shine on

Well, the sun is shining and I am sitting in a coffee shop. I am trying the remote post for the first time. I am struggling with weird temperamental networks. I am a little weirded out by the presence of other people while I write. But it is nice to be out of the house.

This new computer is really a major step up from my old PC. I have had that thing for 9 years. It was really nice when Jen and I first bought it. Since then I have made improvements and replaced parts. After I built my production PC, I just used the old one for basic office functions and the internet. It has no sound card or removable disc drive. It ran a little slow, but did what I asked it to.

The new laptop is very fast and offers many opportunities for productive use. I believe I can do many audio production actions on the new computer. It is not anywhere as functional as my dedicated audio box, but editing and some mixdown should be perfect here. Recording is limited to stereo becuase of the lack of any firewire connectivity. I most likely won't attempt that without adding a USB sound device. MSVista is nice, but is a resource hog. I have a gig of RAM and it uses 2/3 minimum. I will be upgrading to 2G before attempting any audio processing.

The main function for this computer will be web functions and business stuff. Updating www.charliemosbrook.com and trifolk will be much easier with the ability to do it from anywhere. I was bummed that I was unable to blog from the UK. I know as my gig schedule grows, my need to maintain both sites from the road will increase. Recording, editing and uploading gigs should happen with some regularity.

It is nice to have my music collection this portable. My mp3 player is 2G. I own a lot more music then that. with 80G free on this drive, I have plenty. The DVD player is a plus. I most likely won't use it often. Maybe to watch a movie in bed or while at a race or gig hotel stay. The DVD drive and writer is great for loading and saving music projects.

All in all I am really happy with the new blog box. After spending the past little while writing at the cafe, I feel more comfortable then I did when I began. I have been spending lots of time setting up the new computer and transferring files. It is a nice distraction.

Toward the end of the winter I usually get my self something fun to play with. I justify it with my birthday and cabin fever. Two years ago I got the Fender Strat. Last year was the mandolin and Mp3 player. Now this year I have joined the gang of nerds hammering away at their laptops in the coffee shop.

Anyhow, I most go run. Did I mention the sun is shining?

1 comment:

triguyjt said...

i have had a lap for just 3 months now... i rarely use it out of the house...but its fun to have a quick little blog box as you called it and to be able to use it all over the house...

have fun