Saturday, March 08, 2008

"It is snowing"

Well thats what the news reporter said as he stood at the side of the road. He or she was sent on this assignment by some sadistic news director. I am not sure how this is news worthy. Some things are just obvious. Did we really need a play by play guy to tell us that the Gators/Gators/Spurs/Red Sox won? Somethings are a little overstated in the media.

When I was young my dad was the reporter used often by the NBC affiliate here in Cleveland to report on the big blizzards. He was at all the great ones. '77, '78,'81, '93, '96, and many more. We always hated seeing him sent out like that.

"We get it!. It is snowing! Now stop sending my dad and the camera man out in a storm that you want us to stay out of.", we would curse.

I would see my dad out there. He made it out alive, so why should I be afraid? I would see storms like this as a challenge. As a result of the bad example wkyc made my dad set, I have come to look at blizzards as playgrounds. So of course I went out for a short jog today.
I enjoy an easy mile the day before a race. It is my ritual. A little snow couldn't stop me.

So here is my recommendation:

Stay off the roads! Unless you are on a mountain bike, or running, or skiing, or you feel like helping stranded motorists, or if you just have to see how cool it looks, or if you wonder what a HUMMER looks like when completely buried, or if your stupid news director thinks I need the media to tell me that it is snowing.

With that I have to get ready for the Shamrock 15k tomorrow. According to the race site, the race is still on.

4 comments:

B Bop said...

Since the race doesn't start until noon, I think they'll be able to hold it. We've only gotten 12-15 inches down here. 18 tops.

Jen said...

Wow--good luck racing in all that snow! That'll be fun (but be careful).

triguyjt said...

i totally agree with you and you know where i work.

masters of the obvious is what we become in these situations.

good luck in 15 k... snowshoes...
snowshoes,,,,whoooohoo

JenC said...

I'm bailing on the 15k. Let me know how it goes. Have fun!