Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Big race questions

Wow, what a week. As we mark the 5th year of war and watch our economy crumble, we are challenged to deal with the race issue. Many of us struggle to see it within our own worlds, but it is there. If we are to move forward as a nation, we will deal with it.

The Issue is deep. It deals with respect. Not just between white and black, but for all people and living things. The race issue is one of perception, how we see others and how we relate with them.

As I grew up in a very diverse community, I was unable to see race issues until Jr High School. I had read Ann Frank and To Kill a Mockingbird when I was young, but it was something alien to me until I saw it in school.

My dad celebrated men like Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong and Jessi Owens as if they were the most important Americans ever. As a journalist he covered MLK and the civil rights movement. He later was able to converse with South African Episcopal Bishop Desmond Tutu near the end of Apartheid. His respect for these men was great and he maintains that same respect for all people. My dad had broken the chain of bigotry within our family.

My brother, sisters and I attended public schools in Cleveland Heights. Though the community is diverse, it is not always tolerent. Divisions were obvious to my mom as she saw black and white students receiving different educational approaches from the school. She became the PTA president in an effort to effect change. She has given much to help the community come together as a Girl Scout leader and in her years working to help locally owned black businesses succeed.

My parents always respected others and often went to great lengths to make sure that all were given equal opportunities, injustice was confronted, and that history was recorded accurately. I think much of who I am is a result of this upbringing.

I am really excited by the prospect of our nation facing the race issue and tensions in a meaningful way. Barak Obama has addressed an issue that is very much alive.

Kanye West following Katrina expressed these feelings in a very honest plea. America still suffers the long lasting effects of slavery and Jim Crow. Fear still controls many of our behaviors. Our desire to ignore these unresolved issues has left us with much resentment and anger toward one another.
Racism is often difficult to see as it appears in so many subtle ways. Can you imagine buying a home in a nicer neighborhood and knowing that by purchasing the house you are also devaluing every home around yours becouse you are black?. This is just one instance of racism in todays America.

My hope is that we as a culture can come to respect one another and live mindfully together. My hope is that we can look deeply into all things.
War with Iraq for our safety, is 89,000 civilian deaths amongst Iraqies. A paper bag is a forest, an eco system, and a home. A burger is a mother. An immigrant is somebody that wants the best for their family.

America has an unbelievable opportunity before it. I hope we take it and become what we believe we can be. The first step is to aknowledge the problem.
Barak Obama is doing that.

2 comments:

triguyjt said...

its obvious that in your household, you were encouraged to talk about the issues of the day and that both your parents has social values.
your mom took a stand..your dad never used his position to further his own position on things....a true journalist and a role model.

should be an incredible election..

B Bop said...

Well said.