Thursday, March 29, 2007

So I waited

I had planned on a Friday off day. I am doing a 5k on Sunday. So I figured it was good timing.

Nichole stopped in at work and told me about a vegan dinner and lecture this eve(Thursday) at the library near my folks house.
Long story/short...I switched rest days and went to the dinner. My body needs it, the race is maybe a c-race. I need info.
I showed up at about ten minutes early to a very small group. Within 10 minutes the room was full.
Some how when getting in line for dinner, I wound up at the back of the line. I was offered a spot closer, but I felt it wasn't fair to other people. So I waited.
The first folks in line, especially the men seemed to pile the food on the plates. those of us at the back wondered if there would be any food left. We were hungry and the line didn't move quickly.
The opportunity for practicing Buddhist teachings I have been studying presented it self, and I took it.
I was worried. Why was I worried?. I was worried for fear. Fear that I would come to the food table and no food would be left. I would remain hungry through the lecture. After the lecture I would be tired and dizzy. and so on......
It was okay to feel this way, but I knew the nature of my fear was silly. so I acknowledged the fear and moved forward. I breathed for the moment. I practiced mindfullness. I really tried to absorb the energy that was present in the room. It was a good energy.
As soon as I gave up my Self, the line had arrived at the food table. The food was abundant. I, as well as the 30 people that had joined the line after me were fed well.

Soon after the meal a vegan nutritionist named Anya spoke about how to maintain a healthy vegan diet. Mostly info I had already gathered on my own, but reaffirming what I have read on the web has its place.

The vegan community seems healthy here in town. Thats good to know.
I had a good night.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Thich Nhat Hahn would be proud of you for letting go of your fear :-)

Isn't it great to go to a potluck/buffet line, though, and know that ALL the food is vegan? (Vs. the one dish that you brought and the salad which you're going to have to pick the bacon out of?)