Sunday, March 11, 2007

Shamrock 15k Recap

The Shamrock 15k is put on by the Summit Athletic Running Club. It takes place in the Cuyahoga Valley area near Blossom Music Center(summer home to the Cleveland Orchestra). The race has a reputation for its hills. I last ran it in 1999 and took 2nd in my age group with a finish time of 1:09.
Zac drove down with me. He misunderstood my message and called me at 7am to let me know he was almost here.
Oops, the race starts at noon, no big hurry. anyhow, we had coffee and he fell asleep while I got ready and ate.
I had some Kashi puffed grain and added chopped dates, raisins, craisins, blueberry's, sunflower seeds, a banana, and soy milk. I also had an orange.
At 10:20 we left and headed south. I was pre registered and we were on target time wise to allow me lots of time.....And then we got lost.
So with 14 minutes till the gun we arrived and I ran in, pinned on my number, said hello to JenC, hit the 'let, threw my stuff in the Volvo and ran to the start.
I never ceased running from that point as the horn sounded upon my approach. So I hit my watch and began weaving threw the crowd.
I like starting near the back as it forces me to start slow and pass other runners through out the race.
The weather was perfect. 40 degrees and sunny with a light breeze. It felt like spring.....Wahoo!
The race starts with a rolling dissent into the Cuyahoga Valley. The Valley is really one of NE Ohio's great treasures. The last of the Allegheny rivers before ohio becomes a plains state. The woodlands here are beautiful and are now designated as National Park Land.
In the first mile we passed by the Humane Society to an overjoyed kennel of dogs. 155 runners to bark at. This made me smile. Then it made me sad. I wish I could addopt. My home is to small and without a yard.
My pace was around 7:25per mile heading into the valley. My plan was to to run the 1st 5k in 23 minutes and take advantage of the downhill.
Everything was working.
When we hit the flat at the river I began picking off runners 1 by 1. I felt very confident that my base work was paying off and that I could maintain the effort through out.
At mile 4 the course takes a sharp and steep turn back out off the valley.
I yelled "let the party begin", and bounced up to the hill.
I chatted with 1 fella for a minute but dropped him during a climb.
By 10k I was at 48 minutes, right on goal pace.
I heard a runner gaining ground behind me, but felt comfortable with how the distance to the next runner was shrinking.
She caught me and we ran together for another mile and a half before she pulled away.
Finally out of the valley and headed to the finish, I felt strong.
I finished at 1hr and 15 minutes. for an 8:03 pace.
My plan and body came together.
I am VERY satisfied with the result.
After the race I talked with Jen and her friends Sam and Carrie.
GCT race director, Mickey Rzymek stopped to say something funny while I waited for the awards. Mickey promised the Big Hill is still on the new Greater Cleveland Triathlon course.
As the awards wound down I headed back to the Volvo to find that Zac had awakened from his slumber.
Got back to the Heights. Watched OSU beat the badgers. GO BUCKS! Little scary in the first half as Greg Oden went as silent as Troy Smith did during the BCS game.....And I ate some Thai for dinner
I plan to hurt tomorrow. This race beats you up.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Awesome race report, Charlie! I love your pre-race breakfast :-) Go vegans! I'm impressed with your pacing... even after such a scrambling start! I always have a hard time not getting carried away during the first couple of miles... Sounds like you're racing smart (key for the IM!). Congrats on a great welcome to spring.

JenC said...

You did a great job! Looking at the results, I was surprised by how fast everyone was and also that I finished last in my age group on a stellar day for me. Oh well. Great to see you as always - hope you are not too sore today. I'm okay, but looking forward to a recovery week.

E-Speed said...

Great race Charlie!

Janet Edwards said...

Nice job Charlie. I hate getting to races and feeling in a panic to get everything together in time. Way to proceed to plan anyways!!

Rest up your sore legs!!

qcmier said...

Nice job at the race. That's a tough race.