Sunday, April 01, 2007

Bridges to Recovery 5k Race Recap

This was an unscheduled race for me. The decision to run it was made last Sunday to give Dane some race experience. Needless to say, I was not altering any plans for this race.

Yesterday I did a 2hr brick. Watched the IM 70.3 Championship on NBC. Followed Jodi and Matt's race in Cali(Amazing Job to both of you.) Went to help my friend Becca buy a road bike. I ate dinner while watching OSU beat Georgetown(Time for some Gator revenge). I went to the Peace Action "Peace Jam". Met Rob Reddy at the Grog shop and danced till 1:30am.

Well rested I was not. At 7:45 this morning I rode my steed to the rapid station after quickly developing a flat. I arrived at the race with 20 minutes to spare. I met with Dane,and we walked to the starting line. I did a brief warm up. I lined up near the front, the bell sounded and we were off. The first mile went up and over the Hope Memorial bridge. My pace was fast and I could see the front runners. Mile 2 we hit wind as we traveled past the Hard rock and Jacobs field. I was feeling fast despite my night of dancing and drinking. Mile 3 came back over the Lorain Carnegie bridge and past the West Side Market. All systems were go and I pressed forward knowing that I was having a good race. At the 3 mile mark we turned for the final .11 mile and I finished with a strong time of 13:21.87.

This was a good race for me. My best 5k in 7 years. Wahoo!

7 comments:

Charlie said...

April Fools!

My time was actually 22:33.
13:21.87 is Steve Prefontaine's record 5k time.

Everything else is true. It was my best time in 7 years. I am very happy with the result.

JenC said...

You are just clicking along! Great job! I don't know how you managed the night of dancing though. I went to the Orchestra Saturday night and crashed into bed by 11 PM.

Janet Edwards said...

Haha, funny guy!

Great job especially given the circumstances! Way to go on the time...it is always good to see things moving in a forward direction!!

B Bop said...

Just so happens this is the only April fools joke I was subjected to all day...

Nice job @ the 5K.

Jodi said...

Great job! Your training looks to be totally solid. Keep rolling with the PRs (I think they reset every 5 years)

;-)

Jodi

Fe-lady said...

Holy s**t- I believed you and was going to start looking for your name somewhere in the latest Track and Field Mag.
But congrats on the PR anyway!
I like your profile and outlook on life in general, especially the part about paying attention and living each moment to it's fullest.
My sister lives in Cleveland and my mom grew up there so I visit about every other year and always am glad to be back "home"-
best of luck with your racing and training!

Jen said...

Holy crap... I wondered if it was a typo or something! But still, 22:33 is a kick-ass time! Nice race :-)