Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Boomerang Bug.

March has been tough on me. I have had a cold, I turned my ankle, and I spent the past week being beat'n down by what I will call a boomerang bug.
It started last week and just kept reappearing every time I thought it was gone.
This bug caused extreme stomach issues and fatigue. My appetite was light. I missed a lot of work outs, and my mood was blue. I know it is a flu bug because Zac and Nichole have suffered the same symptoms.
I made it through my long run Sunday. I was motivated by a new friend name Dane. I know her from AJ Rocco's and offered to help her train for the Cleveland Marathon. I did this with Sheila last year. The trade off is experiance for enthusiasm. It helps. Sunday, Dane really pulled me for 2:20.
I took advantage of the good weather mid week by spending some quality time in the saddle. Most of my pool time was spent taking guidance from Steve. Aside from that, I took it easy.
I felt better today. I ate well and I did 2 workouts. I feel normal.
CTC Blogger Jodi had some health issues a month back. She just concluded a monster week of training with few complaints and lots of confidence. So I know if my base training is solid, I have little to worry about. I know it is part of the journey. Just a small bump. I know everything will be fine. But the down time sucks.
Spring starts today and my health has improved.
Let the good times.

One more thing.
B12 is something I need. I was reading Veg*Triathlete's blog and noted that she supplements with it. After a little research I understood why.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I am trying to cut coffee down to 1 small cup a day instead of my usual 67 ounces or so. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

JenC said...

Hope you feel better soon. Something keeps trying to get me, but I'm trying to be elusive. : ) You'll kick it and then come back stronger than ever!

Good luck with the coffee cutback!

B Bop said...

Indeed, some bugs have been passed around lately with the weather changes and all. A winter full of long base mileage certainly makes one succeptible to colds and such. Once you bounce back you'll find you're stronger than ever.

B-12 supplements are a good idea. I took B complex supplements when I was eating a vegan diet and felt they were quite important to my energy level.

Did you know unfiltered beer contains high levels of B vitamins?? A healthy "dosage" may be hard to achieve, however :-)

For preventing colds I've been taking grapefruit seed extract which contains large concentrations of bioflavanoids. I'll supplement with it at the first sign of symptoms or as a preventative after a very draining workout (i.e. the kind that raises body temp.).

There is a way to throw a boomerang so that it doesn't return to you, but I think it's pretty tricky. Good luck!!

Jen said...

What is this about B vitamins in BEER? Whooo-hooo!

GP said...

Hey Charlie! I don't know anyone who has made it through this past winter without getting sick. It was either a rite of passage as a human being or a mean joke.

Get healthy, stay healthy and be well.

Jodi said...

I was just going to ask you if you were getting all your nutrients. There are several nutrients that are low in a vegan diet. There are also several multivitamins specific for vegans. Get one!

I've been a big fan of Airborne. Whenever I feel a cold coming on I drop one of those in a glass of water. Filled with Vitamin C and other bug fighting vitamins and herbs. Not sure if it really works, but it certainly hasn't hurt. Hope you feel back to 100% soon!

Jodi

Trisaratops said...

Oooooh, this flu is NASTY. A ton of my students have it. Hope you're feeling better soon!