Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Dogs and thunder

As I slumbered deep in my dreams I heard the phone ring. It was a distant ring. The kind of ringing that you can accept as a part of the dream. After half waking I realised that the ring was real.
At 5am there are few reasons why my phone would ring.
  1. Drunk call from an x.
  2. Family emergency.
  3. Zac can't get to work.
If you guessed 3, you are correct. Whatever bug my body battled and beat apparently was kicking Zacs ass and winning. When this kinda thing happens I get to go to work early. So I showered, dressed and jumped on the bike.

As luck would have it the rains were light. I crashed badly last summer during an early morning downpour. Crashing your bike hurts if you are lucky. I had given myself time, so I could take it slow if need be. The fact that I had to leave early saved me from heavier rains.

With Zac out, I assumed that I would be going solo till 10. Sucks, but I handled it and tips were good. I was able to leave at 2:30. Cool!

If I get out early, I like to go to the little Indian place in the Colonial arcade on Euclid. This is what I did. After lunch I headed around Browns Stadium and headed home along the lake front. The ride is flat and rough. The lake looked cool as most of it has thawed, except for random ice chunks. The wind was easy. The ride was nice.

As I turned down MLK and headed south along the bike path, I felt my seat bag come loose. I slowed to tighten it. As I slowed I notice several dark patched in the woods across the Doan Brook. The shapes began to take form as I focused and I thought that I may be seeing a pack of wild/abandoned/stray dogs. I began to move forward again when I realised that they were dogs and that they were very interested in me and my bike.

Crap! I decided to go for it. I decided to test the speed of the dogs.
Crap! Those dogs were fast. About six of them. They were led by a lab Shepperd mix and he and I were 3 feet apart.

I fiercely yelled "NOOOO!".
The dog didn't obey.

I hopped my bike into MLK.(This is sort of like jumping from a burning building to avoid death by fire). MLK is Nuts.

I signaled to the car behind me for help. Traffic seemed to get what was happening and allowed me to escape to the other side.

Boy, that was close.

With my knees still shaking I peddled up to University Circle. As I passed the VA I noticed my rear wheel was soft...softer....Flat............
So I sat on the stairs of the Quaker Friends House and fixed the flat. Peddled home. Switched bikes. An rode till the thunder came.
Maybe Someday I will be reborn as thunder. When I am, I am gonna go scare those dogs good.

Be careful out on the roads. Dogs bite, cars kill, and helmets save.

7 comments:

Spokane Al said...

Now that is one heck of a commute!

E-Speed said...

glad you escaped the dogs!

B Bop said...

ahhh, the excitement of commuting by bicycle. great tale of commuting adventure my friend. don't forget you're secret weapons in these situations, such as a squirt from the water bottle to the eyes or a swing of the frame pump (the old school, big, long ones work great).

Janet Edwards said...

Oh I can't imagine how fast your heart must have been racing. So glad to hear you made it through all the obstacles OK.

Any chance you reported this pack of wild dogs? I have heard these stray dog packs are becoming more and more and more of a problem.

Charlie said...

Thanks.

B Bop: I like the water bottle method.

Daisyduc: Sounds goofy, but I am reluctant to report the pack because I am sure they would be put to death.
They actually look healthy and they have each other.
Most of the dogs have been abandoned by low income families making stressful choices or by irrisponsble Case students.
Either way the dogs have been dealt a raw deal.
Animal rights vs Public Safety is a tough question. Personally I believe we have to learn to live with each other.

Jen said...

Ahhh! Scary dogs! I love your outlook on it, though. They HAVE been dealt a raw deal by humans... I wouldn't feel right about reporting it either. But be careful.

JenC said...

Holy crap! Dogs make me so nervous, because you can't reason with them. Glad you escaped unharmed.