Monday, November 16, 2015

Watching the Weather

To this point, November has been amazing here along the southern shore of Lake Erie. I really haven't missed any outdoor workouts, and have been very successful at predetermining swim days vs outdoor days. I have logged many miles on the handcycle and racing chair. Two days were spent on the trainer, but one would have been ok to go out doors if I bundled up. I used the time to watch the Buckeyes football game.

Indoor workouts, while being a bore can be really productive.My first two were both an hour, logging 12 miles. I like being able to moderate intensity. Most of my local rides begin with all climbing and end while mostly descending. It is tough to warm up like this, and I often feel like all of my energy is tapped in the first half, while the second half is too easy. Being able to mix it up will benefit me in the long run, as my spring marathon is mostly flat, but mixed where hills do exist.  The toughest hill is in the last two miles as you come east along the shore-way and cross the Cuyahoga alongside the Browns Stadium. That bridge is long and steep. Finding strength at the back end of a long ride is not something I am used to doing. Though my ride last Sunday did offer me this opportunity. That route however is not a regular option however due to heavy traffic concerns.

I am feeling positive about this weeks workout schedule. Weds may bring rain, but if I am able to get out early enough, I should miss it. I don't plan any ride of more than 90 minutes, so even if it does rain a little, it will be short lived. The day time temp's will be in the 60's.... I will not freeze. Thursday is an off day, Friday I swim, and Saturday will be a short push with no climbing.

The big question is Sunday. When I first considered doing the half, the weather looked to be very cold. As the outlook warmed, i decided to roll the dice and register. Yesterday the forecast included snow and AM showers. This would be bad. It would make pushing the rims very difficult. The cold of course would be uncomfortable, but I will get over that..... Today it looks like the outlook is slightly improving. By Sunday the it could be completely different. Fingers are crossed.

I did a long push yesterday and plan to swim today.... No more weight lifting this week with a race coming. Base fitness and recovery are my priorities.

No comments: