Monday, November 30, 2015

Productive November

It is 11:11am in the 11th hour of the 11th month.
Here in Cleveland this is an unpredictable time. The weather can be summer like or cold and wintry. This past week included so many ups and downs. I biked indoors, swam, did some strength training, and was able to get outdoors for a couple of rides on the Chair and hand-cycle. I also used a crummy Friday for a rest day. The days are a bit shorter as well, leaving me with tighter windows to get outdoor sessions in. None the less, I was able to do a lot of road work this month including a cold half marathon last Sunday.

This is a time for building a solid base for future training and racing. With the winter coming my thought is to get all of the work in that I can before winter shuts me down. I do have a good plan for winter that will include a lot of pool work, strength training, and hours on the trainer using the hand-cycle. The racing chair will be all but put on ice during the deep winter. I have no plans to go into full hibernation, but I am aware that it will become tougher to get the kind of workouts that I will need to continue building the endurance needed for the upcoming season.
 I am hoping for a short less snowy and cold  early spring and late winter. These past few years have limited me as I prepped for the marathon. Though I was also not as committed as I could have been.
My spring tours have also landed at times when I could have been training. This coming spring, I plan a trip to KC for Folk Alliance international. That will take me out for 6 days. I also have one show planned in Ann Arbor. I will likely plan a Chicago visit that week as well.
The main plan is to continue my hunger and to do everything I can to get in workouts no matter where I go. With the tour schedule I should be able to count on regular long rides on the hand-cycle. I am planning to increase my 30 mile rides to 40+. I also want to add intentional speed workouts. I have yet to figure out how to make this work well for me. I need long flat sections. I have a couple of areas that might come close....

Anyhow, I am glad to be able to get so much in now. I have plateaued a bit with weight loss. Not sure why, But it isn't for a lack of training. I think this past holiday weekend I was able to enjoy a bit of food while not enjoying too much.
Today should be nice enough for a good ride. 

No comments: