Thursday, November 05, 2015

12.82 miles on a wheelchair...

Today was a breakthrough day on the chair. My early plan was to cover 13 miles, or about a half marathon. I covered 12.82 when I pulled up to my door. Good enough. Still near 3 miles over my longest distance. Anything more would be junk distance, and with all of the construction near my home, it would add dangers that I don't need.
The time was 1:58 minutes. This includes stops for lights and intersections. The average pace was 9:12 minutes per mile. This blows away any previous time, and I did it on a difficult course.
I am feeling much more balanced in the chair, and the new gloves are starting to make sense to me. I could probably come back a little in the chair, but that will happen with time.
One thing that makes using a racing wheel chair difficult is finding your balance. the further back your weight is, the more tippy you become. Control and being in a good position to build speed benefit from this position. As I get more comfortable, specifically on hills, I will move back a little more. I am still unable to reach the bottom of my stroke on the rims. Maintaining contact through the entire revolution of the wheel provides the most power. ......
It will take some time. Today I moved a little closer to where I want to be.

No comments: