Sunday, November 15, 2015

Time to race

Being that I have been working my gut off training these past few months, I wanted to get a race in before the season wrapped up for the year. I chose to do the Fall Classic 1/2 Marathon next Sunday in the Metroparks along the Rocky River. I look forward to seeing what I can do on a closed flat course.

I went out today and did 13.2 miles in the racing chair. With the hills and traffic I was able to average 9:05 per mile. It was a beautiful fall day and the temperature was around 60. My muscles were a bit sore from the weight training I did Friday. Next Sunday the weather forecast calls for AM showers and Snow with the temp near 37. Not ideal, but it is 7 days off. Things can change in a hurry this time of year. I won't worry about it, and just do my best to prepare for the race.
I ordered something called Spider Tack, a resin for gloves and rims that should provide me better grip. In dry conditions, this could be a big plus. If it does rain, the resin should help counteract the wet conditions.

 All in all I am excited to get out and push myself in a race. I doubt I will have any competition, but you never know. I let Joe, another local wheelchair athlete that I was going to race. Maybe he will want to join me.
Time will tell. Either way I am excited. I have worked hard recently, and am glad to go into the winter months with a long race under my belt.

No comments: