Monday, November 02, 2015

Indian Summer

Baseball season has ended. In Cleveland it has been a month without the Indians playing ball. But the past 3 days were beautiful, warm, and sunny autumn days. We call that Indian summer. I really don't know why. It is probably something derogatory, but I just think it means summer days deep into fall. Great riding weather...
I went out on the handcycle yesterday for a speedy 16 mile loop, matching some of my best times to date. It is hard to truly gauge my pace due to the many stop signs and traffic signals on my routes. I also have to start with a long uphill section with little if any recovery time. Yesterday however felt like I was moving along at a quick enough pace to feel like a sub 2 hour marathon will be possible on a mostly flat course with no stopping and having to rebuild my pace every 8th mile or so.
Today the chair was easily one of my best. Saturday however was one of my worst. Today the big difference was the adjustments. I loosened the seat, getting me deeper in to it. This allowed my new "gloves" to remain in contact with the rim longer providing more pushing time.
I watched the NYC marathon yesterday and tried to best understand what the wheelchair racers are doing. I have a long way to go. Their times are extremely fast. I can't average the same pace on my handcycle, let alone the wheelchair. You tube is kind of helpful, there is so little info about this sport that I find myself making it up as I go. Finding a little speed and improved handling to was a positive step. I fear winter and a long layoff from the chair I don't want to have to start over in spring. I am hopeful for a light winter for this reason.... That and the last few have been dreadful. We need a break.

No comments: