Friday, August 24, 2007

My race had seen the sun rise and fall.


Coming out of T2 my confidence was soaring. I had dropped the long sleeve jersey but stashed a light windbreaker in my tri top pocket. The weather was perfect for a marathon but it could turn. It had often already.

The first 4 miles sailed by. At the 2nd aid station I stopped to straighten my sock. Better to deal with it early. The first section was a double loop within the castle grounds. This section had short hills and a mixed surface. I was really enjoying the first 9 miles.

Near mile 9 we left the castle grounds and headed into town. I passed Kurt as he was headed through his final mile. Soon after I saw Zac and Nichole out on Cheap Street. They were holding up a sign they had made that read "Go Charlie-Show me something Built to Last"(Dead lyric). I was happy to see them.

After passing through town, we went through the girls school grounds. The wind was becoming strong and was becoming a factor again. After the school you go up a steep stairway to cross the road before heading out of town toward Yeovil.

The wind was really strong now and the air was getting colder. This section had some long rolling hills.The hills lasted12 miles and were taking there toll on everyone. I put on the wind breaker and went into a walk up, rundown approach to the hills.

This section of the race was so hard. The long hills, the wind, the lack of scenery, the drone of the freeway. Every ones mood was at its lowest point. You could feel it from everyone.
Gatorade, power gel, bananas were all so gross. This was the hardest section of a race I had ever done.

The one bright point was crossing the mat at 13.1. When I heard the beep from my chip, I knew it was going to let every one back home and here in blogland know that I was still going.

The sky was incredible. The day was falling and I became aware that my race had seen the sun rise and fall.
As the hell...er...I mean hill section came to a close I realized that my IM journey had become a 5k. Upon descending the stairs and heading back to town I started running strongly once again. I could sense the finish was near. I started repeating the word "IRONMAN". Everyone along the course was cheering me through. I could hear music coming from the castle. The final 5k seemed like 5 minutes. I was crossing the road into the castle grounds. People were shouting out my distance from the finish like like a football play by play touchdown. "200 meters" "100 Meters", "50". I was heading up to the castle and making the final turn toward the finish. I was running as loose and light as I had ever run. I threw my hands in the air and crossed the finish line in 14:35.25.


I was an Ironman. I had a huge smile that would not quit. I hugged and thanked Zac and Nichole. They seemed as excited as I was.
Kurt told me of his 80 marathons, this was the toughest course he had ever seen. Kurt finished in 11:13.20, Congrats.

I saw Michelle in the recovery tent. She finished 15 minutes ahead of me for her 1st. I said "congratulations IRONMAN and gave her a hug.

My post race meal was a baked potato(jacket) and beans. I took a long shower at camp and went to bed.

Well, first I had to right my tent. During the race, the wind had blown my full tent about five yards from its original spot.
The wind during this race was really strong. But not strong enough to stop Iron. WAAAHOOOO!

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Congratulations, Charlie! Loved your race report. You look absolutely radiant in the after pic. Can't wait to hear more details of your day. You are an Ironman!!!!

:-)

Jodi

B Bop said...

I'll be looking for you in downtown tomorrow afternoon...because I want to shake your hand.

Three blue stars / Rise on the hill
Say no more, now / Just be still
All these trials / Soon be past
Look for something / Built to last

Anonymous said...

congrats charlie...great race report. think of all you have gained by giving so much in training for this the past year.
You are an Ironman!!!

jtfox8

Spokane Al said...

Congratulations! It sounds like you ran a terrific race. Your report was excellent as well.

B Bop said...

Sir Charles,

Word on the street is that the CSU rec. center is open to the public this year. I'm not sure of rates. If you find you can use a uiversity sponser let me know.