Monday, August 27, 2007

Final thoughts on IMUK and a hard fought battle against impulsive decisions

First off, let me thank you all for the well wishes and congratulations. It means alot.

Now onto the wrap up.
Was it all that I imagined?

Yes, and then some. The course was very scenic and challenging. The event was well run. The English people were great. The weather was.

I feel as tho my training, nutrition, taper, equipment management and race day plan were all executed well. I was able to stay in the moment. My mood remained positive. I had no mechanical or physical problems.

My swim was my personal performance highlight. This was huge considering I listed the swim as my biggest limiter last fall.
The bike was not as fast as I would have liked, but I also know how tough the course was. Momentum was never a theme on the bike. I feel I was smart on the bike.
The run was VERY difficult. This was one crazy marathon course. I maintained my sense on humor and stayed positive. I encouraged everyone around me.

My Ironman experiance was magical.

Negatives did excist. Vegan was really hard to do. We mostly had indian dinners(not so bad). At the pasta party I had to be one of those peaple to get my pasta without cheese. At the awards banquet I wasn't so lucky. The veg offering was quiche, bread, cheesecake and a mix of greens.


At first I resigned myself to bread and lettuce. That righteous strength lasted 15 seconds when my body began screaming "ARE YOU FREAKIN' INSANE? HOW MANY CALORIES DID YOU BURN YESTERDAY? DO YOU THINK I AM AMUSED BY THE POTATO, BEANS, OATMEAL AND BANANA? EAT THE QUICHE! EAT THE CHEESE CAKE".
It caused me sadness and remorse. The hunger following Ironman is intense.
On that note, here is something from a london market.


I am a little tender, but my recovery has been very easy. I have run marathons that left me feeling much worse.
Two days After Ironman we spent 7.5 hrs walking around London. I felt fine. I Have done two bike rides, 1 swim, and 1 run since the race. I feel good.


I really have had an amazing Ironman experience. I recommend it to everyone.

I have decided to do Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek Half IM, and the Columbus Marathon.

I was looking at the IMKY registration and found myself within the 3 digit security number from regstering for another Ironman. I got out. That was close. I want to do another, but that would have been financially irresponsible.
My IM success was based on careful planning and execution.

Next blog-UK vacation and world traveler experience.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I'm pretty sure if I did an ironman I would eat whatever was put in front me. Cheese, eggs, small children... whatever. Well, not whatever. But I think given the circumstances of traveling--and camping, in particular (so hardcore!)--it's understandable that you'd have to make some adjustments. Don't feel bad about it. You just do your best, you know?

It really sounds like, above all else, you raced smartly. Congratulations, again, on an awesome race. You're totally inspiring.

JenC said...

I agree that I've felt worse after stand alone marathons. You did a great job Charlie and should be righteously proud. I am! I will see you at the Toyota Challenge!

Jodi said...

Wow. I'm 2 months out and still can't run! Rock on Charlie. You're awesome!

:-)

Jodi

Charlie said...

I hope I didn't eat any children.
Thanks Jen, It did bug me.

Jen, Jodi, I can say this now.
We are Ironmen!

Jen said...

Maybe eating vegan will be easier in LOU-AH-VUL!

Janet Edwards said...

I can only imagine the hunger after an ironman!!!

Fantastic job Charlie!!!