Wednesday, August 08, 2007

756, the price of winning

Last night Barry Bonds became the all time home run leader.The celebration was light. Not what you would expect from a record of such high esteem. The previous two record holders, Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron are nothing short of legends. Each changed the game of baseball and in many ways changed America. Barry Bonds represents a change in baseball and maybe a change in our society that nobody seems to be very proud of.

Barry Bonds under suspicion of steroid use during his career has not been raised to hero status by baseballs leadership. Baseballs greatest player is considered a cheat and a jerk by baseball.

The sad thing is that baseball and its ownership(including former Texas rangers owner and current US president George Bush) ignored steroid use. Any rules regarding 'roids were not enforced. Baseball encouraged the Sosa and McGuire Season HR chase. They did nothing to stop it until congress threatenend Major League Baseballs antitrust exemption.

Bonds has never tested positive. We just assume his guilt because of his body mass increase midway through his career.

My guess is that Barry is extremely driven to excel at his sport. Who can blame him. As athletes of varying ability we all want to be better than we are. We all make sacrifice to better our performance. We experiment with nutrition and supplements. We look for equipment that will help us better our own game. The higher the stakes, the greater the sacrifice.

As I look back over the past 10 month's of Ironman training I have to consider my own sacrifices. What am I willing to do to succeed? What has it cost me? What has it cost others? Is it within the rules of the sport? Is it fair to others. Did I cause harm to another living being for my success.? If I did, did I have another choice?.

For me, the easiest example is my choice to live vegan. Animal meat is rich in protein. But I can no longer justify eating animals for this reason. I have other choices.

In my opinion, causing death to another being should be our last resort. My short term success is not worth another's life.

Longterm health risks further my decision to remove animal products from my diet
(read The China Study)

I am glad to see that the idea of playing fair has become an important issue lately. I would like to think we all want to flay fair.
Even Barry.

So Barry, let's play fair.

"Say No To Corn Dogs!"

1 comment:

Jen said...

Ha, ha, "No to corn dogs!" That's one of my favorite parts of that movie. It sounds just as good as "Down with Ho-Ho's!"