Saturday, July 21, 2007

Wizards are everywhere.

As I returned home last night from a bike ride I found my street filled with wizards and other magicians. The book store (Macs Backs) below my Apt. was having a midnight sale of the Harry Potter book. The whole neighborhood was in on the party, 'cept for me and all the local weidos.

Living our lives in a fairly sureal fashion and being part of the constant freak show that is Coventry, we are used to seeing odd things. Last night however was something none of us were prepared for. A line of over 3 hundred people waiting to purchase a BOOK from a little neighborhood used bookshop.

The costumes being worn by the Potter fans were not to distant from local fashion. The round glasses and wands were nothing beyond our imaginations. The interest in a book however....

Freaked us out.

This was not the latest video game release. No rockstars were involved. Lebron James was not eating at Tommy's. No pre Ironman USA registration. No, it was a huge block party to celebrate a new book.

This gives me hope.

1 comment:

B Bop said...

As the sun fell on Friday evening I was finishing up my last hard brick before GCT. I peddled through Peninsula on my way home to find the old downtown neighborhood full of horses and wizards. Lots of wizards. I thought it was cool, but upon the consideration that all this hype is over a book, I now find the whole thing a bit cooler.