Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Big Challenge

I just finished watching Shaq's Big Challenge. The premise is Shaquil O'Neil is gonna get a bunch of big kid's in shape. I figured a Shaq reality show. After a long swim, I was up for anything.

The Show is a bit more documentary style than reality. It follows a Shaq sponsored program that helps kids bring fitness, nutrition, and wellness into there lives. They are trying to build the frame work into schools and after school programs. Ultimately they are looking for the Governor to back the program so that they can introduce it to a wider group of kids.
I really liked what this show was doing. It looked like a program that could really help kids get healthy again.

One reason I love triathlon so much is that it does these things for me. The people in the sport are very supportive. Everyone wants everyone to do well. You can start at any point, fast or slow. Every finish is celebrated. Every DNF is one more reason to work harder. We all just want to improve. We learn about nutrition. We learn how to take care of our bodies. We build solid disciplines into our lives. We enjoy it. We can't wait for the next challenge to chart our progress. We do things we once thought impossible. We live.
As an adult I was an out of shape kid. For me the keys for me regaining my fitness, nutrition, and wellness were desire and knowledge. Triathlon gave me knowledge in living a healthier life. The desire was already within myself, I just had to tap it.

I think that is what Shaq is giving these kids. Ultimately he wants to make the same structure available to all kids.
Way to go Shaq. That is being a champion.

No comments: