Monday, July 30, 2007

A Quick Vacation

Having wrapped up my long training sessions, I headed up to Eagles Mere PA with my family for the weekend. This was an opportunity to spend a couple of days with my brother, sisters, neices, parents, two sets of aunt and uncles, and my brothers girl friend. It was also a chance for one last tough work out.

Saturday I met up with My brother Joe, my sister Suzi, her daughter Sarah, and Mary Beth, Joe's girl freind. My bike was attached to the roof of Joe's car and I rode with Mary Beth. At 2pm we arrived on the mountain.

After unpacking we headed for the sweet shop. The sweet shop is an ice cream and sandwich shop. The menu was surprisingly very vegan friendly. We have been eating here my entire life. I was glad to see tradition and progress could co exist. The photo is Sarah and My sister Nancy's daughter Morgan after lunch.

After the mountaintop communion I headed off on a run around the lake. It was my only workout of the day and I felt very lazy yet fresh. Before I could shower I was asked what I would like to drink. The cocktail party began out on the the cottage porch in front of the back drop pictured up top. Dinner, followed and we finished off the night at a local bar.

Sunday, Joe and Marybeth took a canoe and followed me on a nice lake swim. I began slowly and got stronger as the swim progressed. I followed that up with a 31 mile bike ride down the mountain and back up again. The climb is a tough six miles. It is a real confidence booster. Half way up I quoted Jodi with a loud "Suck it up princess". I then exchanged the shoes for my running shoes ditched my helmet for a visor, dropped off the bike and headed out for an hour of hills, road and trail running. I put out a strong effort and the weather was perfect.

After my day of training my Uncle Bob and Aunt Bonnie arrived. Bob is the other endurance athlete in the family. I was excited to tell him all about my training and race plans. We traded a few tri tales.

More drinks and dinner followed, and we waited for my Uncle Bill and Aunt Evelyn to arrive. After a delay in Vegas and some time of getting lost they made it near midnight. Bill recently had a new knee installed, so my Mom and he traded surgery and rehab stories.

This morning Suzy, Nancy, Morgan and I drove back to Cleveland. When we left Sarah became ill. As the drive progressed so did the rest of us. I have been sleeping and eating lightly since returning home.
The vacation was nice, now it is TAPER time.

Also on a side note. I volunteered to help at the Greater Cleveland Triathlon. Micky the RD asked me to provide a little TriFolk. So as athletes like Bbop take on a 1st 1/2 IM, they will be doing it to a little folk music. This will be a fun way to spend the Sunday before IM.

6 comments:

Craig said...

Can racers put requests in advance for TriFolk to sing when they cross finish line at Greater Cleveland Triathlon?

B Bop said...

Sounds like a great weekend. Hopefully your stomach heals up soon. I'll be quite happy to hear your guitar strummin' whilst prodding along @ GCT. Enjoy your rest.

Charlie said...

If I know the tune.

Jen said...

That's so cool that you get to contribute music as a race volunteer. Glad you had a good little vacation & hope you're feeling better soon!

Charlie said...

Thanks Jen,
I just talked to my sister, turns out the whole clan was afflicted. It is either a bug, or non chlorine washed lettuce. Me getting sick ruled out bad meat.....Well, meat is still bad. But it is not the root of this little bug.

Jen said...

All meat IS bad. And Chlorine is... good? Mmm, not so much.

Freaky about the bug, though. Be careful. Isn't your immune system kind of compromised during taper?