Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Living as a monk

"I am not motivated by financial reward to do well" was my first thought.

We have all been surrounded by thoughts and discussions on the future president. This question finds it's way into every part of our life. Our tri-club forum has been entertaining one through the weekend and it has continued through this hour.

The questions before us are so important. I think we all know this. We all have so much at stake. The future is so uncertain.

I have been grouped with the left in this discussion. I have been told I believe certain ideals because I felt a specific way about a different issue.

Mostly I have been cast as somebody that has his hand out and is unwilling to work. I am an advocate of slack! I want to teach Americans to sit on their couch and eat corndogs. I want us to collect welfare checks and make the rich bleed every cent until I am satisfied things are even.

In a response to a rant I said"wealth and poverty have little to do with hard work".
This was not received very well by some of my right wing friends.
My point was that hard work is no promise of wealth. great finanial wealth only finds a few of us. In the US it finds many of us while many US workers still live in poverty. In many third world nations a great majority live in poverty despite their greatest efforts.
On the reverse of course we have those that work the least and enjoy the most. I could take a shot at GW here but instead I will stick with the Paris Hilton example.

This was misinterpreted as me saying that hard work lacked importance. Somebody made a statement declaring that money was what motivated people to work hard.

I felt sad at this thought. I thought to myself, I do what I do well because I want to do everything well. I want to swim, bike, run, sing, strum, eat, live, and be well.

I want to be the person I want us all to be. I work hard because my coworkers are counting on me. I work hard because I am involved in the act of doing.

If I needed money to work hard, I would not be an Ironman. I know of nobody in triathlon who is in it for the money. Yet we all work hard for the sport. As a musician, I may get lucky one day. Someone may buy a song, and I will be able to invest a bit. But that is not what makes me sing.

It is hard for me to imagine Sister Madonna Buder or Chrissie Wellington not being hard workers despite not earning lots of dough. Sometimes I think we have completely lost touch with what is important in this world. I worry that the hardest workers are often overlooked and taken for granted. If we fail to make lots of money for our efforts, does it mean we did not do our best? Does it mean that our work lacks importance?

I guess I try to live as a monk. I live simply. I do my chores and earn my keep. I train and practice. I contemplate. I write. I am not getting rich this way, but I am proud of my work.
I know I have put forth my best.

6 comments:

triguyjt said...

those that work hard and value work for its own sake will not change.. even if they hit it big.

to be there everyday. to pull ones own weight. to be dependable. those a very important assets for a person to have.

good post

tracie said...

It is no accident that the very talkative and very opinionated Miss Tracie has not dropped in with her two cents on the forum. ;)

I think that people missed your point completely. Which I know you are already aware of.

I, like you, think that people work hard because they have pride in themselves and want to contribute to society. Whatever it is the you do, be best the you can at that! The problem is that many people are so focused on material goods that they see work as an exchange only. You work so therefore you are entitled to compensation. No one seems to work anymore just for the sake of working hard and feeling satisfaction in his or her accomplishments.

In this country people measure success in dollar figures, not the worth of the individual or his/her accomplishments.

Keep thinking your way, at least one other person agrees with you! (and I'm sure many more!) ;)

B Bop said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
B Bop said...

Well said. Richness of life and richness of material goods are 2 different things. I suppose it's up to us to decide what we want in this life and which one we would sacrifice first.

I agree that it is easy to be saddened by the negative connotations that come with simplicity, peace, justice, etc. Lately, I've fallen victim to feeling challenged over such things all to easily....I blame on election coverage in the media. I've gotta blame someone besides myself, no?

I've heard it said that when we finally figure out all the answers to the questions of life, we can't tell anybody.

triguyjt said...

I just tagged you. It's a pain, but I hope you do it anyway!

The rules are as follows:
# Link to the person who tagged you
# Post the rules on your blog.
# Share seven random and/or weird facts about yourself on your blog.
# Tag seven random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
# Leave a comment on their blogs so that they know they have been tagged.

thanks...triguyjt..

triguyjt said...

I just tagged you. It's a pain, but I hope you do it anyway!

The rules are as follows:
# Link to the person who tagged you
# Post the rules on your blog.
# Share seven random and/or weird facts about yourself on your blog.
# Tag seven random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
# Leave a comment on their blogs so that they know they have been tagged.

thanks...triguyjt..