Saturday, February 16, 2008

Chili Bowl- Beans are good for your Heart!

Today was all about heart. Two days past valentines, but today I was searching for my heart. The 5k is all about heart. Seems like a good spot to start.
First race of the season and time for a gut check. For Ironman, what you have inside your heart plays a huge roll not only in your race, but in your ability to maintain the training for 9 months.

My goal today was to push my effort and reach deep. I wanted to see what was in my heart.

Tracie picked me up at 8 and we headed downtown to Tower City. The sun was shining and the wind was light, but the mercury was at 19 degree's. Todays challenge would be the cold air.
Once we arrived, we met up with a bunch of CTC folks, hit registration, and "took care of business".

We headed out to the start, I warmed up a little, found my spot and the starting bell sounded.
I moved myself through the crowd. I focused on picking off other runners one by one. I did this and never had a moment of weakness that lasted for more then a few seconds. My hands were very cold at the first mile , but that soon passed. The veterans bridge was a tough task, but manageable. As I came up the final hill to the finish, I dug in, shouted encouragement to another CTC runner and we crossed the finish at 24:03. Not bad. We shook hands and I staggered about till I regained my senses.

After turning in my chip, I headed back to the finish to see the others finish. We all ate chili, clapped for the winners and headed home.

One race in the books for 2008. I am Happy with the effort and result.

My persistent butt pain was of little thought. Since I adjusted my bike cleats, the pain has been lessening. This has been a great event lately.

After Tracie dropped me back off on Coventry, I had some coffee and got ready to ride through Kona. 90 minute trainer ride while watching the Ironman World Championship.
As I watched the parade of age groupers finish, I was getting really pumped up. I watched the smiles and joy as athletes danced down the finish chute. I began to really crave the Louisville finish. Then came the moment Mia Richter rolled over the finish.

Mia is sometimes known in these blog circles as Veg*Triathlete's hard core trainer. She rolled over the finish in tribute to John Blais. John is an Ironman and died from ALS (Lou Gherigs disease) last year.
As I took this scene in, I broke into tears. Not the kind of tears this production normally produces. These tears were deep felt. I was having an emotional breakdown while pounding away on my trainer.
My thoughts immediately raced to my friend Jack. Jack works for ATT and was a long time roadie for the Allman Brothers Band. He was the first person Zac and I would serve every day for the past few years. We are very fond of Jack.
A few months ago Jack began to change habits. He quit smoking and drinking coffee. He stopped getting pastry and quickly began to loose weight. A LOT of weight. The last time I spoke with him he could barely speak.

A couple of weeks ago he checked himself into the hospital. He needed to figure out what was wrong with him.
Last Saurday He married his long time girl friend Lori.
Tuesday we were told he had been diagnosed with ALS.

This scene with Mia touched off my personal feelings about Jack and his illness. I finished my workout emotionally stripped and exhausted. My biggest concern is for Jacks suffering, but I also just felt said about the prospect of loosing a friend.

Something changed for me during this workout. The goal of finishing and taking the time to savor the finish became a goal of savoring the entire process. The Challenge of overcoming any and all adversity became my focus and drive. I found my heart. Two days after valentines day and 4 hrs past the 5k designed to uncover my lost passion, I found it.

I headed back out for more coffee. I ran into Brendon(My neighbor who is training for Lake Placid). I was so fired up about Ironman. We talked nonstopwithoutbreathingfortwohoursabout Ironman. I became hungry and tired so I went to the market and then home.

During dinner I watched a hockey movie. In a final scene, announcer Al Michaels say's during the USA's win over the heavily favored Soviet team 28 years ago this week,
"Do you believe in miracle's? YES!"

I say, The miracle is now. LIVE IT!
For Johnny Blais, rolling over the finish at Kona was how he wanted to live it.
For Jack, marrying his love is how he chooses to live it.
For me I must live it with all the same passion. Now is all I have. It is all I will ever have.
I won't let a moment slip by. I want to savor every bit of it.
With all my heart.


BTW- the photo is of Mickey Hart of the grateful Dead. Today was all about Hart.

3 comments:

triguyjt said...

great post sir...i totally know what you mean about the diff between the reaction to watching kona coverage and then the reaction to thinking about jack..much deeper.
passion is a river that runs deep whenit comes to the people in this sport. others who have barely dunked their toes in the river don't understand.
good job on the chili race..
i got the title....beans good for your heart, the more you eat...
and good tie in with heart and hart
take care

tracie said...

great post Charlie! thanks for sharing it

GP said...

Is it possible to run any race this time of year without heart (or Hart, for that matter)? I'm glad you used yours and had some chili too. I'm set on running that race next year... if only for the chili.