Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Road Rage?

Today while riding to work I felt a car buzz me very closely. I let out the standard "F_CK YOU!".

As I rode to the stop light I noticed my to close for comfort friend was in idle close enough to the curb to park. I squeezed around her and gave my "GIVE ME SOME ROOM HERE" glare.

The women driving the car was screaming at me through her sun roof. She let me know that I should not be in the road.

I yelled "I have every right to the road".

She continued to scream. I could not understand her.

I shouted, "Do you want to kill me?".

She yelled back, "YES!".

I pulled my bike toward the center of the lane and mumbled "Now it is my lane, deal with me".

The light changed and she pulled into the next lane and sped away.

I can be a punk sometimes. I wish that I had not contributed to this womens rage with my anger. I wish that I did not feed the rage inside myself, as it hurts me most.

I have known to many people who have been hurt by cars while on their bikes lately. I get upset by drivers that have no regard for others on the road.
I need to find a more peaceful approach to these situations. I feel badly that another rider further up the road may have been put in danger partly due to my behavior.
I need to be more mindful of my reactions to jerks.
Later in the ride a got a flat. It really didn't bother me. I just fixed it and continued on my way.

Next week is bike safety week in Cleveland. It is also ride to work week. AJ Rocco's is the destination cafe. If you ride to work, you get free coffee and bagels.
Please however watch your temper.

8 comments:

B Bop said...

I, also, fall victim to my anger with these motorists of the lowest intelligence all to often. It's hard not to do when someone values a few seconds of their time more than your life, which is how I feel people react to cyclists sometimes.

My favorite show of intelligence by a passing motorist last year is when the driver honked, repeadetly for all 15 seconds that she was stalled behind me. Then, seeing how she was in such a hurry she slowed down next to me to share a great bit of insight...."you're not a f#cking car." Wow, how insightful.

Papa Louie said...

I think we react too easy because we are already on the defensive and if someone does something offensive to us we explode. Lately I have been ignoring "the confrontations" and I feel better while riding. No need to dwell on mean thoughts of how am I going get that bleeping driver a good punch in the nose for their inconsiderate driving.
Ride safe and enjoy.

JenC said...

I rode this morning out by N. Chagrin on River Road and while most cars were curteous, I did get buzzed a couple of times. It scared the crap out of me. I agree that we can't react poorly, because we'd lose in the car/bike battle, but it is still frustrating.

Janet Edwards said...

I find it very hard not to get upset with these sorts of drivers in general. They are everywhere! I really think people have no concept of the consequences of their actions. It is really quite sad.

Jodi said...

You have to be careful out there because sometimes they are heartless enough to actually hit you. Trust me on that one. The car that hit me was definitely trying to buzz me. Now I just learned to smile and wave. It throws them off...

Jodi

Jen said...

Ugh! This morning I almost got cut off by a woman in gas-hog SUV who didn't stop and look before going right on red AND was talking on her cell phone. I try not to let the one minute of anger spoil the overall peacefulness of the bike commute, but it's hard not to let fly with a string of obscenities. Or water balloons...

But you're right. We have to be above it. Maybe more folks will join us next week for Bike to Work Week & that'll improve our visibility for a little while, at least...

qcmier said...

Hmm, I may have to ride up there for my bagel and coffee. Just an FYI, this Wednesday there's a Ride of Silence at the statehouse in honor of those killed on the roads.
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php

Craig said...

These drivers are all infected by the outbreak of "Rage" virus, like in science fiction movie "28 Days Later". Good movie, hero of the story is a bicycle courier, enough said.