Sunday, May 20, 2007

Rite Aid Cleveland Half Marathon Race Report

I treated this race as a an "A" race. I spent the past week really relaxing and allowing myself to get healthy. I was ready to go. I woke at 5AM. I started the coffee. I ate some cereal and fruit. I took a shower and waited for my ride. At 6:15 my ride arrived. We got downtown by 6:30 and I met up with Dane. Dropped my stuff off with the CTC tent. Headed to the port o lets and waited in line. The line was to long for the time left, so we headed to the start.

I was feeling a bit rushed and anxious to get lined up with my pace group (3:30). That did not happen. The horn sounded, and we were off.......Kind'a. The clock was ticking and we waited 2 minutes to cross the start. Not to bad.
The first 2 miles were slow. Jack(center of photo) and Mirana caught up to me and we started chasing down pace groups. I stuck with Jack through the first four miles before I started rolling off 7:30s

Along the way we passed RW editor and the 1968 Boston winner, Amby Burfoot. Friday during the expo I went to a speaker session of his. He was quizing us and rewarding good answers with lifesaver mints which he claimed would help us during the race. I let him know I had my mint on board, chatted for a moment and pushed forward. It does something for the condidence to pass a Boston winner.

Just past the halfway point I realized that I was on target and getting faster. I also realized that my inability to use the lu was going to be my doom if I didn't deal with it. Luck was on my side as a port a john was being vacated as I approached it. I got in, took care of business, and jumped back into the race.
I had lost 2 and a half minutes. It was time to get busy.
I caught Jack quickly, and soon caught up to Craig(left side of photo). By mile 9 I was with the 3:40 group. I squeezed out a powergel and kicked it up a notch.
My HR had been steady at 161BPM. Now it read 60?..81?...172...54.........forget it. I decided to ignore it and chase more runners down.
I thought I saw E-Speed and DaisyDuc ahead of me. I decided to try to catch 'em. As I ran up behind them I said "hello CTC"......It wasn't them. Oh well, I still had moved further up in the race and was on closing in on my goal.
At mile 11 I heard Dr Jod(formerly known as Jodi) yell my name from the side of the road. That gave me a nice pick me up and a smile. I ran over the bridge, passed the Jake, said hello to Lou and turned into the last mile....
During the final mile I began to feel the effects of chasing all day...If I could maintain a 7:45 I could finish with my goal of 1:45.
I was tired and my mind was beginning to wander. I thought for a moment that the wheels were coming off.
Screw that.
I set this goal in December and worked hard for it. A late start and potty stop hadn't kept me from m goal. This race was almost mine and it was time to focus and run.
I ran it in 7:46.
My chip time,
1:45.01

Goal accomplished!

At the finish I ran into a lot of friends. Jack, Craig, Cathrine and I got some coffee, And we headed back to the finish line to wait for Dane.
Dane(pictured) went out with the 4:40 group. At 4:30 I found a good spot to see her finish and waited. At 4:36(chip time) she cruised in. She looked fresh and happy.
I was proud of her. She rocked. Dane is now a Marathoner.
I had a great day. I am going to sleep now.

Also, big congrats to DaisyDuc and her Boston Qualifying time.

10 comments:

B Bop said...

Congratulations on a great time and a succesful coaching job!! So, when I need some advice as I approach my first marathon are you the one to turn to?? Do you get paid for this ;-) ????

qcmier said...

You hit your goal even with a pit stop. Awesome Job!!!

Jodi said...

What a great race! It was a lot of fun cheering you guys on. Elizabeth was cheering me on at mile 11 on the bridge last year so it was time for me to pay it forward.

Keep it up, Charlie. You are cruising towards your IM goal!

Jodi

E-Speed said...

Great Job Charlie! You passed me just before we turned out the road Jodi was on. I screamed but it was after you passed. I don't know if you heard me or not. You looked great. Well done.

Craig said...

Great race time! It was fun running part of the course with you. That's until you refueled with the powergel and took off. What flavor was that by the way? I need to get that stuff. Continued success with your IM in the UK.

Charlie said...

BBop, I think Jodi put it best with the "Pay it Forward" plan.
finding a first timer to train with gets me excited about the training and the race.

E- I think I was so focused on catching up to the girls I thought were Duc and you that I was just tuned out. Sorry I didn't hear ya. It was near that part of the race that I intended to say howdy.

JenC said...

Great race Charlie! Good to see you at the start yesterday!

Papa Louie said...

Charlie, way to run and to remember your goal to bring your mind and body back in gear to finish strong. Congratulations!

The Salty One said...

How cool--you met your goal almost to the second!! Congrats!!

Janet Edwards said...

Nice job Charlie. Dang port-o-potty stops always slowing down our times!!!

Sounds like you had the whole race all figured out. Nice to see ya out there!!!