Saturday, May 19, 2007

Pre race thoughts, a look back.


Now in it's 30 running,The Cleveland Marathon/Half and 10k holds a lot of history for myself and many other area runners. Let me take you through my biggest memories of this race.

1993- My first 10k. The start was at 21st and Euclid, in front of CSU. The Marathon began 20 minutes ahead of the 10k to allow the race to thin out enough for the elite runners to pass the slower marathoners without any congestion.
As we waited and watched the marathoners line up, the announcers voice began to raise. Dire Straits "Heavy Fuel" roared from the speakers, the gun sounded, and a few thousand runners took off on a 26.2 mile journey. My imagination soared. I wanted to run a marathon one day. My dream seed had been planted.
My 10k barely registers in the ol' memory bank. The desire to go longer however was born. I also bought the Live Dire Straits CD and continue to use that song to get pumped up for a run.

1998-My first 26.2. I worked as hard as I have ever worked for anything. 4:41.39. At the finishe I smiled, cried, beamed with pride, and hurt. I was changed. From that moment on I had a belief in myself and a knowledge that with work anything could be possible.
While training for this race I cross trained with the bike and swimming.

1999-PR 3:53. Carried a 3:30 pace before 18.....Bam! The wall. Still PR'd. '99 holds all of my best races. 'cept for 70.3.

2002-I ran a relay with Jen. She had us on a 3hr pace. I fell apart. finishing in 4:05. My confidence was shot. This was my first long effort since my '01 heat injury at the Columbus Half. If the sun shined, I melted.

2005- My return to long course. Ran the half in 1 :54. My confidence was reborn. Half IM dreams became serious plans.

2006- Personal worst. Overweight and beaten by the wind I came ploding in at 4:54.
The real Joy was in mentoring Sheila as a 1st time marathoner. She crossed the line in 4:10 or so.

2007-Back to the half so that I don't interupt IM training. My goal time is 1:45.
I coached Dane this year, and will be waiting for her finish after my race.

I just ran for 12 minutes and feel great. I did some pickups and ate lunch. My clothes are laid out. I am ready to go.

You can track my race by following the link http://www.doitsports.com/results/MSG-signup.tcl?sub_event_id=194589
My Bib# is 5549

Hope everyone has a great race and achieves their goals.

2 comments:

B Bop said...

Good luck Charlie. I have decide to hold off on this one, so I'm living vicariously through you ;-) Cheers to adding more memories to the collection.

Jen said...

Awesome job meeting your goal, Charlie! Can't wait to read the race report :-)