Saturday, June 21, 2008

Ironyman on healthcare

I am a bike commuter. It is my preferred mode of transportation. Currently the city of Cleveland is making the leap towards providing options for people like my self. From east 89th to Cleveland State along Euclid Avenue a new pair of bike lanes have been created as part of the new Euclid Corridor project. Once the project is complete I will have my own lane from University Circle to Playhouse Square.

I only hope I live to see it.

Right now the project construction that continues, along with the never ending additions to the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals has created a barricade between the comfortable riding of the heights and the new bike lane. Everyday as I descend the hills and make my way past these two world class health care facilities, I pray that I will make it a mile and a half past the high volume of construction, shuttles, EMS, and thousands of cars ferrying overworked health care professionals and receivers. I assume many are on drugs and/or are under heavy stress as they work through health related issues. The preoccupation of thoughts amongst the drivers who the share road with me must be great.

As I am under insured, neither of these institutions is accessible to me. So aside from employing much of the population around me, I don't feel as though I am directly benefiting from the constant growth of these hospitals. I know they both are global leaders in healthcare, but locally I consider them to be the source of my greatest health concerns. I fear for my life every time I travel past these two medical giants.

Once I progress westward on Euclid into the crime and poverty of midtown, I am able to relax and enjoy a carefree ride to work.

A week from now I will be racing in Morgantown WV. I am doing the 70.3 distance. I will taper this week.

3 comments:

Jack said...

Hey Charlie nice post I agree with the sentiments. I am not able to pay for health insurance through the company any longer so I am trying to secure insurance. My son has Type I aka Juvenile Diabetes which is all I have to mention before they say I don't qualify. The insurance companies can gouge you for premiums when you are healthy but God forbid you are sick. Unfortunately the government doesnt help with all the regulation and requirments that makes the paperwork so expensive and time consuming.

Hope the IM LOO training is going well. See you in Morgantown!!

triguyjt said...

its just crazy.....

good post...right on the money....

see you at morgantown..

Mary Sunshine said...

Dear Charlie,

Do be careful out there...

but if ever you should need good health care, from those construction sites or anywhere else, I'm sure that you tri buddies and music fans would do everything in their power to make sure you are ok. We are a resourceful bunch!

Mary