Monday, June 16, 2008

Finding focus.

Watching the US Open(Follow the link for story of the tourney), I was mesmerized by the absolute focus of Tiger Woods. I was rooting for Rocco, but I was in awe of Tiger.

During todays playoff, I turned to a friend and said of Rocco,"I hope he is enjoying every second of this."

Some how I need to find both properties in my training. As the work becomes more and more intense, having fun while remaining focused becomes a major challenge.

I see myself becoming very protective about time commitments. I get cranky when demands are made on my schedule. If I have to train, I find it difficult to enjoy other activities. That is accept all of the workout procrastinations I can come up with...(Blogging).

With the improved weather, the joy of training is returning. No more trainer. No more tights. No more indoor pool. The weather has been great for a few weeks(I want high heat).Training is fun when it is sunny.

Saturday I went long solo on the bike. These days are tough, but I truly believe in the solitude to build mental toughness. Ironman is a long day. Drafting is illegal.
Midway through the ride I ran into Bbop down in the Cuyahoga Valley. We rode for a bit. That was nice. The change of course also awarded me more climbing. This I need. I am sucking on hills this year.

The Open Mic has been amazing. Cleveland has so much great talent. Our lineup has filled every week. The audiances have responded well. The Phoenix staff is very sopportive of both the Open Mic and myself.

This is all where I want to be. I am enjoying every second of it. I am also becoming focused.

It is time to become an Ironman.

4 comments:

Jen said...

It sounds like you're doing great... you always have good focus, zen Charlie. I'm very jealous about the outdoor pool... My town's outdoor pool has been covered by the 3rd most polluted river in the country :( And most of my bike routes are covered by the same river. I'm going to have to resort to criterium style bike training!

Mary Sunshine said...

I've heard the Cuyahoga valley is very nice. My son will be a senior at Kent State next year and I often pass by the area...may have to combine a visit with a long ride up there this summer. I've heard there are good trails for running, too.
I'm working from home today--your CDs in the background, my daughter nearby on the couch eating a grilled cheese sandwich. The doggies 3 are here, too. Will do a long swim outside today. Life always feels so good when the weather is good.

Wishing you peace in your miles!

Mary

triguyjt said...

charlie...its so cool when the weather is warm and you can just jump outside and get a workout in....

that was real cool about how rocco on the sports biggest stage was having fun and competing like all get out and nearly slaying the dragon..simply amazing.

tiger is a freak. he has played with a torn acl..are you kidding me!!! now he can get his surgey and recovery... golf won't be as fun to watch without him, thats for sure....

Anonymous said...

umm you know you might want to use spell check before you post these things