Sunday, June 08, 2008

Deer Creek race report

Double fisted was the best race plan of the day. I knew going into this weekend that it would be a hot one. Having gone though such a cool spring, I wasn't sure how well I would deal with it on the Deer Creek course. With the big goal being Louisville, heat will be an issue.


We left Cleveland in Zacs bus late Saturday afternoon. He has the VW looking good and running very well. The addition of a bike and rack make it really shine. We arrived at Deer Creek close to 9pm. We grabed a tent site about a mile from the course. It was privately owned and about a third of the cost of the State park.

The creek near our camp was very high. The area was enduring some flooding. This fact was sure to influence the race. We set up camp and had some food. Nicole is running a raw cafe within a Lakewood wellness center now. She is experimenting with lots of good food. Zac got a bag of chips. They were also quite tasty. At about 11pm I slept.

We woke at 5:50am. First me, then Max, then Zac, then Nicole brought up the rear. We rolled up to the park soon after. I grabbed my packet, set up transition, chatted and just enjoyed the pre race happenings. I met Mary Sunshine from the IMKY blog. She grabbed some AG hardware. Congrats!

Nicole went down to the water with me. We didn't have to go far, as the lake was a bit bloated. The beach of 30yrds from last fall was non existent.
I swam a bit and waited for the waves to go off. The race began 16 minutes late and was delayed after a swimmer had to be rescued. The swimmer was OK.



My wave went at 8:35. Immediately I was hit with a side stitch. Maybe it was the hammer I took before the start. Maybe the Gatorade. or maybe my water had been spiked with heed. What ever the intestinal distress was became unimportant as I began to take repeated blows to the head. I became a little defencive in establishing my space. My wet suit was tight on the left side. I was never comfortable. I also swam a little cooked as we were hit by a strong current of flood water headed to the dam.
My swim was :31. I expect better.

Once I hit T1 I got caught in a five minute comedy routine as I tried to remove my wet suit from over my calves.Body Glide is good stuff, but nothing beats a CFC hose down with a can of PAM.

Once on the bike, I went aero for 23 and 1/3 miles. I worked hard. I took in nutrition as planned. I worked at remaining cool as I kept pouring water over my self. The heat was in the 90's, but I feel I managed it well. My bike was 1:18

Once I was in T2, I knew it was going to be hot. The shock of becoming still beneath the sun was noticeable. I was out quickly.

As I started the run, I took more heed(electrolyte replacement). I again felt the same cramp as I had during the swim. I only drank water following the heed test. I noticed the returning runners all looked spent and dizzy. I went at a 9 minute miles, and really took my time at aid stations.

The end result was not fast (2:55), but it was steady. My endurance is good. I need to find speed and clean up details like sighting in the water and removing the wet suit.

The weekend was a lot of fun and I am a bit red. I now know what I must work on.

4 comments:

Mary Sunshine said...

Hi Charlie,

Was that VW bus with you yesterday??? REAlly cool!

I'm amazed at the details you remember from the day. It sounds like you have this down to a science! Congrats on your race!

I'll try to chapstick method of sweat management.

Have a great week. I'm looking forward to getting your CDs. I think my daughter will like them, too.

Mary

triguyjt said...

your are right...nothing beats good old pam spray.

love the van shot and you guys have an oriental rug in there...cool...i am sure the dog loves it.

hey, as you said, you have some things that you can work on... keep on trucking toward im louisville

tracie said...

sounds like you're getting everything ironed out. keep it up and i'm sure everything will fall into place for IMKY!!! :)

Lloyd said...

Way to go, toughin' it out in the heat!