Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mind the gap

" Mind the gap" was the message coming from the womens voice over the public address system aboard the London underground. Zac grabbed the front end of the case that held my bike while I took hold of the other. We lifted the case from the train and proceeded toward the stairs leading to the street level.

As we passed others, some would stop and wonder what it was we were carrying. Most would just try to navigate around our over abundance of baggage. Nicole and Zac made it possible for me to move through the UK with so much luggage. Without them, I may still be trying to get off of that subway car.

Since I have known my good freinds, they have always been willing to help me with my baggage. Their support has not only enabled me to move along with so much baggage, but it has also aided me in shedding much of what I did not need. Freinds like these two are rare. I value them greatly in my life.

As I began readying myself for the GCT 1/2 iron distance back in '05, I asked Nicole if she would train for a marathon with me. She gave it a shot, but was not really into it. I never buged her about it again.

After returning from the UK, nicole told me she had been running since our trip and wanted to try a 1/2 marathon. The Ironman finish line has an amazing effect on spectators. As you cheer, you can't help but to visualize your own finish. She had been inspired.

Following her 1/2 in Columbus, she was hooked. The marathon goal was now in focus. We mulled over the race choices and settled on Cleveland. Over the past three months, she followed the plan we put together. Sunday she will step to start of the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon.

I am very excited for her. Marathons are not easy, but she is ready.
Go Nichole!

I will be running the half. I hope to match my time from last year. I will not be dissapointed if I don't. I know I have trained well. I have taken a very easy week and should feel fresh and healthy. Most importantly I will be ready to start the next stage of my IM training.

No comments: