Saturday, May 03, 2008

A major step.

Recently I have left the confines of Microsoft for the user controlled world of Linux.At first I was concerned that I was going to be limited by incompatibility issues with windows software. I have found things to be quite the opposite. Linux has a windows software emulator called wine. I have yet to use it as the open source software seems to work much better. My hardware is working much faster. I no longer view the Internet as an unrelenting advertising portal into my brain. My move toward Linux has been huge step . My perception has changed. I have been released from the mental restrictions that plagued me as a windows user.

These sifts in my growth are exciting. Big ones include my choice to go vegan, Ironman, living car free, Buddhism, and my first marathon. Each of these things has completely changed my perception of the world and myself. My path to personal freedom is marked by these moments that I let go of the limitations I had imposed on myself.
Ten years ago today I took two of my biggest steps toward becoming the person I hope to be. these steps were near East 22nd and Euclid in front of CSU.
The first of these two steps was toward the west as I crossed the starting line of the CVS Cleveland Marathon. This step symbolized my belief that I could run 26.2 miles. I had stuck to a training plan and was on my way. The race was not easy. The first two miles my calves felt as though they would explode. By mile 16 my quads were screaming. Getting through the final 6.2 miles was as difficult a personal struggle as I have ever known.
My family was ever present on the course. They were decked out in t shirts that said "Run Charlie Run" my sister Nancy and niece Morgan had made. My brother delivered a cliff bar to me out in Lakewood as he peddled along side of me. My sister Susie drove to the race with me and helped me calm my nerves. My Parents awaited my finish with cameras and hugs. I cried after I finished. Finishing things had been an issue for me, so this was a huge deal. I was fundamentally changed. I was a marathoner. I often remind myself of this when self doubt arises. Finishing was my second major step that day.
The days that followed were painful. The marathon beats you up. But since then, I have grown stronger and stronger.

Part of me really wants to run the full 26.2 in Cleveland in two weeks. I am trained for it. But common sense tells me to train through for Ironman. So I am content to race the half and wait for Nichole to finish her first full. Being a part of her progression as a runner means more to me then anything I could accomplish on the course at this time.

I have run 8 marathons since this day ten years ago, but none have meant as much as the first. Over the last three springs I have helped Sheila, Dane, and now Nichole with the marathon training. This has helped me to enjoy a first marathon spring after spring.

Today the things that seem most important, are no longer just about me. Knowing that together we can accomplish great things has become a much more important theme than my personal accomplishments. Sharing our knowledge and enthusiasm gets us all a little bit further.

4 comments:

triguyjt said...

yo charlie...great post on your personal journey from the first marathon to this point in your life..amazing that you will be doing your second ironman too..tremendous...

the comparison to elway and to jordan on previous post is right on. lebron is to the wizards and nets and at least once, the pistons that michael was to the cavs.

cool new work sked. if you want to get in a long run some sat. let me know..(email) i will be running the half on may 18th and will look for you amoungst the 7,000

Anonymous said...

Amazing that the CVS marathon was 10 years ago! I did the 10K that day and then dragged you to a concert (Willie Nelson or Mark Cohn??) that night. By that time you had the flexibility of a surfboard!

Good memory!

Susie

Jack said...

Hey Charlie nice post. I remember my first marathon very well also and it too was a first step in a life changing series of events leading up to my first Ironman last year. I will be lining up for the half also but probably doing it slower than you. See you there. I am starting to blog also on blogger so check in from time to time. I need to find out how yo put all the cool stuff up on your site too.

Jack said...

Hey Charlie nice post. I remember my first marathon very well also and it too was a first step in a life changing series of events leading up to my first Ironman last year. I will be lining up for the half also but probably doing it slower than you. See you there. I am starting to blog also on blogger so check in from time to time. I need to find out how yo put all the cool stuff up on your site too.