Monday, May 12, 2008

If you have a moment.....

Well, that moment is gone now. But as long as I have your attention.........,Life is changing around me. I am not sure that I am changing with it. I keep doing what I am doing and good things just start happening.

When I began this current phase in my life four years ago, I was a beaten man. Who I was, had come to an ending. My hopes and dreams had been resolved in a not so happy way. Some of the things I had to accept were difficult. My life changed abruptly. I got a bit disoriented before regaining focus enough to move forward.

My forward motion was motivated mostly by the Ironman dream. Having become disillusioned by romance, politics, and the recording business I needed something to work towards. Ironman gave me this. I had my friends and family, Ironman gave me a mission.

Having finished my first race of 140.2 miles, my mission was complete. The moment at the finish line had passed. Not knowing what to do next, I just kept on with what I was doing. I signed up for IMKY and Steelhead.

I am not sure whether I race to train or train to race. The moment at a finish line is often unforgettable, but the memories acquired throughout my training will always be with me and serve me well. Finish chutes are places of great celebration. Training day in and day out is living. On completion of a long race, you receive a medal, some food, and a smile that won't quit. While training I quietly grow in every moment closer and closer to the becoming the me as I see myself . A me I am proud of. Not for my accomplishments, but for my discipline and dedication in becoming not only an Ironman, but becoming a good man.

Somehow overtime the things I had lost became unimportant. New opportunities arise and I am able to give those things my attention. The present is what is important now. I just keep doing what I am doing, and I seem to find inner happiness.

Moments come and go. Each one is important. We can't dwell on the moments past or wait on new ones to come and expect to enjoy the present one. These are moments lost. So, if you have a moment, pay attention to it.

2 comments:

JenC said...

Right on!

triguyjt said...

i often look back on some event, that a worried about and realize the worry did not help one bit..

i am trying to be more and more in line with the philosophy you talk of.....just live in the moment

see you sunday....course looks real good ......