Thursday, April 17, 2008

Open Mic

When I moved to Madison in 1988, my goals were folk music. I went there with intention to hone my skills as a player, performer, and writer. I had developed a plan and followed it as I do my triathlon training plans. I would practice a minimum of one hour daily. I had to write one complete song a week. I had to learn one new song a week and I had to go to the local Open Mic, held at the Rathskeller on the UW campus. The weekly open mic would always keep me on task, just as an up coming race does. This was where I found out what worked and what didn't. This is the place I got over my stage fright and became a performer.


In '89 I returned to Cleveland. I resumed my work at the Coventry Arabica as a Batista. I had left that job a couple of years earlier after the Cafe had been sold and the new manager persisted in trying to get me to sleep with him. He was now gone and the owner was glad to have me back. He sometimes would ask us for our input on ways to increase business. I suggested starting an Open Mic. He thought it a good idea and put me in charge.


Over the next 16 years this became my life. Every Monday I would set up my sound system and introduce the next act. I took the job very seriously as I saw it not only as a vehicle for promoting my own music, but more importantly I saw maintaining the open mic programs around Cleveland as a major responsibility as the custodian for the forum so many of our best musicians would use to develop their own set of skills.


My Open Mics gained a lot of credibility quickly for having good audiences,musicians, and for treating every performer equally. It was common place for some of the biggest acts in town to drop in for a set. The audience had grown accustom to seeing unknowns become very well known. Once in a while the major record company would bring in acts. Jewel and Sean Lennon were two of those acts. Best of all I was able to create a venue for MANY first time performers. I was put in a position where I was able to help a lot of amazingly talented musicians to develop their own skills. This was my calling, and I was able to answer it. I have always thought myself very lucky to have held this position.


In 2001 the Arabica closed. I continued to host shows for the next three years, but businesses would come and go. Stability was fleeting. My final open mic was at the Lee Rd Arabica. After they closed I decided to not take on a new show until the conditions were right for long term success.


Well.....Conditions have become right. I have just settled the details to begin hosting a new Open mic at the Phoenix on Coventry. We will start with the first weekly show Monday May 5th.


I am so freaking excited. This is my element. This is where I shine. So come on out with a guitar, voice, flute, or your ears. Monday nights on Coventry will be alive with song once again.

4 comments:

E-Speed said...

That sounds great Charlie! Congrats!

tracie said...

love the new layout! :)

i'm so excited to hear about the open mic. i'm sure once my brother gets a bit better with his playing he'll want to get up there. it is a good location too. although, i wish you were over at the phoenix on lee.

triguyjt said...

another reason why you did not move to the west side, but a great reason...thats fantastic..congrats..

can we get jewel to come in some night?????

ditto on the new layout....you pimped it out real nice

JAK said...

Hi Charlie -- You don't know me, but I read your blog. :)

I was a fan of the mic nights at the Coventry Arabica in my undergrad days, and I'm looking forward to checking them out at Phoenix. Very cool.