Sunday, April 20, 2008

City 2 City 5k recap

Nicole and I decided Friday to do this race. The schedule called for a 5k today. My early plan was to ride down, but it was raining and I didn't want to stand around for an hour in wet cloths ,so I took the train into tower city for registration. Nichole and Zac began the day by changing a tire.

The entry was $20. Kinda' steep for a 5k but the charity was a shelter for battered women and children, so I knew we would be getting more out of it then a tshirt and banana. I hope they were able to provide funding after expenses.

The field was sparse compared with other races I have done recently. I was scouting the crowd to evaluate the competition. This is not easy any more. My age group seems aged as randomly as any and running doesn't mark calves. I shared the idea that awards could be had with a good effort. I hoped to provoke Nichole's competitiveness.
We headed up to Huron Rd to warm up and toe the line...well my toe is never near any line, but I am sure you get the drift.
"Ding, ding,ding!!!" the race bell sounded (I am glad the bell has replaced the gun). I was immediately stalled by joggers so I did my best Barry Sanders impression with some nice lateral moves until I found open field.
Hermes race systems seems to have a deal with Tower City this year, so the start and finish are Identical to the Chilli Bowl course. The Mid section goes deeper into Ohio city as it passes by Johnny Mango's
My first mile was 7:55. The bridge kind of kicks you in the bum so I hoped I could make up time in OC. At Mile 2 I was at 16.01 The course was an out and back so mile 3 returns back over the bridge. I worked hard to catch runners ahead of me, but I ran out of race before I could over take them. Final time was 24:50 for an average of 7:59. Not blazing fast, but steady. Goal achieved.

  • This race was a nice little event. Hermes does a good job.
  • This course is tough. I do not run it fast.
  • Nichole had a nice race. This was her first 5k.
  • The Female 35-39 age group had a 17 second differential between 1st and 4th place.
I took the train home and have decided to rest the remainder of the day.
Speaking of taking a train to a race, E Speed, Daisy Duc, and Katy(She picks me up for the Oberlin workouts every other Sunday, and is doing IMKY) have taken a train to Boston for a race tomorrow. I think I heard it was a marathon. Good luck and Have fun....
Someday I would like to run Boston. If I can hold those eight minute miles for 26, I will be in good shape......When I am 45.

2 comments:

triguyjt said...

good job on the sanders lateral moves...good that you didn't blow out the ankles side stepping the runners.....

tracie said...

great race charlie!!!

i'm not so much a fan of that start/finish combo. :( keep up all the hard work!