Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Unmotivated

Before you slap me, please remember that these things are relative.

Twenty five days since IM and 10 days till the half at Deer creek. I did a solid brick Saturday, ran 2hrs Sunday. My pool workouts have been short but strong.

Returning to the indoor pool, I am swimming with swimmers I haven't been with since early June. My progress on the swim is evident while swimming with a couple of swimmers that I used to pace with. I am excited to continue to grow as a swimmer in the coming year.

I have been pushing the big ring on the bike lately. For IM I went conservative during the bike. I rarely went big unless I was going downhill. A big goal for Kentucky is to work harder on the bike. One great thing about choosing IM so close to home, is that I can ride the course in advance, or at the very least drive it a few times.

As a runner, I have used a three day on, one day off routine for years. I really like that schedule as a runner. However, I am no longer a traditional runner at this point in my time as an athlete. I am an Ironman distance triathlete. This means that recovery is a must. The other disciplines are of equal importance. Every week now includes two days in a row away from running. The three day has been cut to two days in a row followed by one or two rest days.

I feel that I am now truly thinking as a triathlete. My training goals are focused on Ironman. I want to go Sub 1:15 on the swim, sub 6:30 on the bike, and sub 5 on the run next year at Louisville. with my T1 and T2 being 12 minutes I have left 3 minutes to finish sub 13. I believe these goals are within reach and will make me focus on improving.

During my UK training, I gave endurance work all of my focus with the exception of swim tech drills. For KY I will focus on strength and speed while maintaining a steady flow of long sessions.

Next week at deer creek, My "A" goal is to go sub 6. If for any reason I struggle trying maintain that pace, I will let go of any expectations, back off and enjoy the final triathlon of one great season. Finishing is important, as it may be the long session prior to Columbus.

Well, I guess I have lots of motivation...........Never mind.

2 comments:

B Bop said...

You'll nail the sub-13 time in KY. And what's this I hear (read) about Steelhead.....Let's do it!!

We'll have to get together to do a nice long Emerald Necklace ride this fall....or maybe head for the PA border.

Go Mom Go said...

Hey I want to go Sub 13 in Louisville this year too...