Sunday, September 02, 2007

The best way to watch a race is from the course.


Nichole and Zac have come to a lot of my races the past couple of years. I can't begin to tell you what this has meant to me. From Maumee Bay to the UK, they have become some seasoned tri spectators.

We always make the trips into little vacations, generally choosing to camp near the race site. We all have a lot of fun, and good memories are born.

Something funny happens while watching an Ironman. Often friends and family are on the course for15 or more hours while waiting for a handful of sightings from the athlete they have come to watch. The anticipation and worry becomes enormous. I remember going through this in Austria while waiting for Jen. It is really very exciting watching your Ironman coming down the chute and witnessing the finish.

I can't imagine very many people seeing the IM finish, and not wondering what is possible. I know that it planted a deep seed in my mind. If you don't want to be an Ironman, then DO NOT go to Madison (Have a great race Jack, bib #78)next Sunday.

Anyhow, since returning from the UK, Nichole has been doing a little Swim/Bike/ and Run. Last night she called and asked if I wanted to go running today.......She also mentioned that she was registered for the Columbus Half Marathon.

Go Nichole!

We ran today for an hour at Rocky River. She did great.
She is going to enjoy the Race in Columbus from the best vantage point of all.
From the course.

2 comments:

Matt Collister said...

You can't put a value on support. My mom and dad have come out to six of my seven ironman races. My sister once joked that if I climbed Mount Everest, mom would be waiting at base camp with her folding chair, paperback and sun visor.

JenC said...

You are an inspiration and you certainly have great friends!

Thanks for the kind words on the CTC forum the other day. You're a better swimmer though.