Friday, February 02, 2007

Newby


I read the word "Newby" somewhere and immediately thought of Ironman's most dominant champion.

The word that refers to an athlete who is new to the sport also refers to a legend in triathlon.


The thought made me think of the other greats like Heather Fuhr, Natasha Badman, Lori Bowden and Julie Moss.

I thought of Dave Scott and Mark Allen. Peter Reid, Mike Pigg and all the other greats of multisport.

The thought made me remember that all of the greats were were once Newby's. That every one of those athletes had a first race, a first Ironman, and a lot to learn. They were all newbies.

ITU stars like Hunter Kemper and Emma Snowsill have been in triathlon from a young age. They however both crossed over at some point. They were newbies

I remember growing up with baseball and football always being in my life. I couldn't tell you when I was ever a new to these games. But at somepoint, I was a newbie.

Running, biking, swimming. have been seemingly ever present in my life.

Bike: My first bike was a Tri-cycle.

Running: Have I mentioned that I was a little brother. Running is my first instinct.

Swimming: My older sister tossed me off a boat after telling me I had better learn to swim . It worked. She was a certified life guard. I was able to swim from that point on.

I recently got even when I taught her daughter how to right a capsized sunfish several times. My sister was watching from the shore.

The point is, we are all newbys. We all had to learn to walk at some point.


My introduction to triathlon was a result of using the 3 disciplines of triathlon to build fitness for the marathon. I remember Jen encouraging me to give it a tri. My first race was the NCB Cleveland Triathlon in '98. The worlds best still raced Cleveland in those Days.

I had no clue what I was doing. Jen guided me along and coached me.

I learned mostly through experience, Jen and Sean Patton. I was a Newbie.

I once again find myself to be a Newbie as I approach my first dance with Ironman.

I have seen the race on TV and in person. I have covered more than half the distance. I study the sport like any other obsessed triathlete. I train, I train, I train.

But I am new to Ironman. I have never stepped over the timing mat and entered the water for the mass swim of an Ironman. I am new once again.

When I saw the word newbie I thought of the greatest.

I remembered that greatness was once new. And that in every thing that is new there is the potential for greatness.

The word reminded me that life is new in every moment. It reminded me how important it is to be present in every moment. Being aware in each moment and being aware that every thing is as new as it is impermanent.

In every moment we are new. In every moment the past ceases to excist.

At this moment, I might be starting something great....I had better pay attention.


Peace....Respect Everything.

1 comment:

JenC said...

I'm right there with you. In a few months, we will be newbies at this no longer. Then, on to the next newbie thing!