Monday, February 19, 2007

Above the rest

I have always wanted to trust you. I have always had to trust you.
The power you have in my life is greater than any other persons.
The influence you have on the people I love
and the place I live is without equal.
Your decisions affect my life, freedom, and security

Our relationship is strained now. I struggle to trust you.
I no longer have confidence in your motives.
I want to believe in you.
But I can't shake the memory of you shaking your finger in my face as you denied an affair.
You pled ignorance to a deal you should have known about.
You claimed you were not a crook and then you pardoned yourself.
You promised you would not demand more money and then you did.
You retreated to your garden in the face of fear.
You played with my fears to manipulate me into supporting your attacks on others.

You promised to protect me. Yet I feel no safer.
I feel as though your agenda is clouded by your desire for power.

Sometimes I believe you are sincere.
Sometimes I think you truly care for my welfare.
I know your decisions are very difficult.
I know that the impact of your decisions will affect many lives both good and bad.
Once in awhile, I think you are really trying to do the right thing.
But mostly I think you are so distracted that you fail to ever take us in a positive path.

I am and always will be very critical of you.
The expectations I have for you are huge.
From you I expect compassion, strength, honesty, wisdom, humility, bravery, and heroism.

When you fail, it is difficult to forgive you. When you fail, we have all failed.

I want for you to succeed. I want history to remember you for leaving the world a better place.
I want us to build on this beautiful foundation that was left before our generations.

I am not happy with you now. You often embarrass me.
I think my frustration comes from the knowledge that I chose you.
I chose you because I felt that you reflected who I was and what I wanted.
I get upset because your failures reflect the same failures in me.

I expect you to be better than you have been.
I expect integrity of the highest level from you.
But I know that you are only a reflection of who I am.

We have a lot of work ahead. We have a lot of room to grow.
The choices we make in every part of our lives will have an impact on every thing on this planet.

As I expect you to represent me,
so must I be?
Happy Presidents Day

No comments: