Thursday, February 22, 2007

Hair




Hair is a funny thing to me.
When I was younger, I had very long hair.
At its longest it reached the middle of my back. My public identity was closely tied to my hair length. My hair was always a topic of conversation when meeting new peaple. On stage it was a great prop. It ticked my folks off.
My hair was hard to take care of. As I became a runner it became less comfortable.The police, employers and people seeking drugs would assume that I had drugs becouse I wore my hair long. My hair was something I maintained for no other reason than I was afraid to cut it. It was part of who I was.
In March of 1995 I came home from work, grabbed the clippers and told my roommate to shave it off. It was a liberating experience. I was bald and there was nothing I could do about it except to let it grow.
I continue my spring shave now as marathon and Tri season gets started every year.
I make the choice to shave off my hair.

Many people do not have that choice.
Many of them are kids undergoing chemotherapy.

At AJ Rocco's(my place of work) we host an event every St Paddys day to raise money for cancer research. The idea of the event is to get friends and family and fellow bloggers to sponsor you to have your head shaved. We also drink ALOT.
Our event has raised over $400k during the past 4 years for the St Baldricks foundation. Nationwide the event has raised 20million.
Originally I had planned to grow my hair up to IM UK and shave pre-race. But after thinking about it I remembered that the idea of the event is sacrifice.
So today I changed my mind and have decided to shave on March 17th.
I would encourage everyone to take part. The easiest way to do so is to go here (St Baldicks) and donate.
On St Patricks day, I will take part in a public Shaving at AJ Rocco's 816 W. Huran Cleveland Ohio.
Come on down for the fun, Or.....Come on down and get shaved with me.
Lets find a cure.

Peace and baldness....

2 comments:

Janet Edwards said...

Wow, that is brave! Wishing your cause all the best!

At least you will be cooler this way when we start heating up.

Jodi said...

That's such a great idea! Darn, I'll be out of town on St Paddy's day. You have to post pics!

Jodi