Wednesday, January 31, 2007

1000 miles 199 days hemp recovery

Today I logged my 1000th mile of training since Dec 1st. This has easily been my most productive off season ever.
The USAT Club challenge has been very motivational. The Triathlon national governing body pits local tri clubs from across the country in a virtual training competition. Every mile logged is added to your clubs total. Individual stats are kept as well. The CTC is holding tight to 6th place nationally. Our club has fewer members participating than most of the other clubs, so realistically we are really putting up big numbers in Cleveberg. My personal numbers have ranked up around 16th-30th place out of close to 800 total participants.
I am not fast, but I love to train. this is a competition I can be competitive within.
One Michigan athlete was named the top woman's 50-54 age group triathlete by Inside Triathlon. She is number 2 or 3 right now in the club challenge. It is amazing to see the amount of work the top amateurs put in.

A few of us CTC folks including bloggers Jodi and Jen are logging very similar miles, so it really is a fun way of seeing what your club mates are doing. For Mr. Solo, it gives me company while I spend so much time alone. The same is true of this blogging action. Thanks to all who read, comment and keep up your own blogs regularly. Vital training partners. Crazy world we live in. I like it!.
As my miles increase so does the wear and tear on my shoes and body. I have had pain in my upper right leg. One of the first things I do when I experience pain is to inspect my shoes.
Flat....My Airs are flat, the souls are worn. these shoes are not suitable for running any longer.
As soon as I get paid next week, it is off to Second Sole. East side store. Jeff knows what I need and finds the best deal for me. He knows that I prefer last years model and that I am a neutral runner. Both with foot strike and with make allegiances. I don't care for Brooks or Saucony. Aside from that I don't care who makes the shoe.
I know what I am looking for.
An issue with the heavy training and new diet has arisen. I feel I am not recovering as well as I could be. I get a lot of protein, however my needs are not getting met to aid recovery from workouts.
After a little research I have decided on hemp seed protein powder. All natural, soy, dairy, and wheat free, taste great in a smoothie. It is rich in Iron, EFA s, Omega 3s, protein. It is as well suited for humans as salmon is. Good stuff. Still vegan, and legal. Ironman Canada winner Jasper Blake uses it.
I figured, lets give it a try.
Still to early to know, but so far so good....

A co workers asked me today,"when is that England thing, Are you scared?"
That England thing is in 199 days. I am not scared, I believe in my training.
I am some what anxious to race. I am adding the chili bowl 5k to the old calendar.
Stay warm...Peace.

7 comments:

JenC said...

You are putting up the miles Charlie! Great job! If everyone in the club challenge was like us, we'd be competitive with the top club. Oh well, not everyone can be as insane as us! Good luck with the new diet!

Jen said...

Your training mileage is sooo inspiring! Keep it up :-)

Hemp is an excellent vegan protein source. I'm assuming you've probably already come across this info, but just in case, here are some vegan athlete websites that might be helpful: (You'll have to cut & paste addresses; I still don't know how to post links in comments!)

http://www.brendanbrazier.com/articles/bazier.final.pdf

http://www.brendanbrazier.com/

http://www.scottjurek.com/

Brazier's short book THRIVE gives a really great explanation of how/why hemp is a good protein source for endurance athletes.

Sorry if you already know about these sites, but I found them enormously helpful and inspiring when I made the switch! (Granted, I'm logging significantly less mileage than you - especially lately! Stupid Iowa winter...)

Charlie said...

JenC. Your miles just blew past mine, you are rockin'.
Happy Aniversery to you and Matt!

Veg Jen, thanks for the links. Information is good stuff. A big reason why I enjoy your blog. It inspires snd informs me in my vegan quest.
Also: Happy Birthday! Fellow Aquarius.
Gotta get the cup cake recipe to my mom. She is so cool. She is preparing an all vegan BDay dinner. I am curious how my dad reacts to it.

Jen said...

That's awesome that your mom's making you a vegan dinner! My mom's been totally supportive of my conversion to veganism, too. I guess they have to be used this kind of progressive stuff from us Aquarians! I hope you have a great birthday, too!

Jodi said...

You are on a serious roll with training! Keep it up!

:-)

Jodi

Janet Edwards said...

Nice job Charlie with putting in the miles!!! I have never really logged my miles before and it crazy to see how they mount up!

See ya at the Chili bowl!

Lloyd said...

Impressive. Way to go with the off-season milage. Sounds like you've found your rythym and the year is just begun.

Perhaps I'll see you at the Reggae Brunch, if not the Chili Bowl.

Oh, I'll be at the Inter-club social too.

LT