Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Commute

Nobody moved. The BP building had vanished into the sky. Wheels spun. Tempers flared. Everybody wanted out. They were trapped. 20 minute commutes turned into 4 hr journeys.
This storm was special.
I was on foot and looking for a bus to get out of town. I ran into an old coworker from the Arabica. Jason and I decided that the rapid was the best bet to get past the kaos of the roads. We headed west on Euclid toward Tower City. The sidewalks were tough going and my shoes were the worst choice next to a running shoe I could have worn. We stopped to help a blind man navigate the journey.
Once at the tower I grabbed a big cup of coffee at Caribou for the ride. We showed our passes and in 40 minutes I got a refill on Coventry.
Soon after getting home I suited up and headed into the heart of the blizzard for a little jog.
I love these storms. Everything is silent, no body's out, and the running is a great workout.
My face stung from the wet snow and wind. Most roads were untouched by plows. The uphills demanded that you dig in as your feet would slip with every step. This run really forced me to accept the circumstances of the weather, suck it up, and run with purpose.
Tough run workouts usually end with me running directly into The Mint Cafe for Thai food. It is comfort food for me.
The women at the counter always asks me about my running. She is a runner but doesn't run in temps below 50degrees.
Tonight the conversation went something like this.
"Charlie, did you go running?."
I answer "I did, it is beautiful. Nobody is out."
To which she replies,"That is because they are not crazy, Charlie."
Feeling bested by her wit, I went home to eat my food.
After dinner I decided to go grab a beer and watched the storm through the big window s at McNulty's.
Funny thing happens on Coventry during big weather events and blackouts. Everyone starts drinking.
I was convinced of the impending snowday. Boy did we get silly. Went to bed and woke 4 hrs later to Zac saying that we were gonna be open.
Good news was that I didn't have to work till 10am. The bus was on time. Got to leave at 2pm. It was an easy day and we had fun.
After work, I went for another run to survey the disaster.
Awesome!
Blizzards are fun. This was a good one.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

What a crazy day! It took me all day to just shovel my driveway. It will be a blizzard to remember. Especially for you, since you were brave enough to run in it!

:-)

Jodi

JenC said...

I commend you. I didn't like walking from the mailbox to the house yesterday morning. I went on the dreadmill last night.

Janet Edwards said...

Yeah a little crazy is a good thing!!!