Monday, January 29, 2007

Go on at a steady pace


"I want to say to my sisters and my brothers
Keep the faith
When the storm flies and the wind blows
Go on at a steady pace" -Charles Johnson

The snow, it has finally arrived. January in Cleveland means cold air shooting down out of Canada. The warm water of Lake Erie following a very pleasant 1st month of winter means the lake effect conditions are perfect for a real pounding.
This life long Clevelander welcomes its arrival. The commute home from the pool sucked, but then I was leaving the YMCA at 9 yrs old and walking home with frozen hair that wreaked of Cl.
I had a humus bagel and a cup of Jo, checked the Cavs score. This team is so inconsistent, reminds me of the '06 tribe. So much promise. Pull the trigger Mr. Ferry. The trade I would go after is Gary Patten to teach Daniel Gibson the art of the point.Give them Sasha and E. Snow. I mean it, Get rid of Snow.
Really that was all just a cheap pun. Eric Snow is a local, he gives back, and seems like a real decent fella. I like him. But I would make the trade, cause Gibson is the future. You got prepare for what is ahead. So enough of this distraction and back to my Ironman training.
I can really procrastinate if I put my mind to it. My ability to manipulate myself is amazing. However, today the plan is a 1+ hr run. Nothing past 1:30. I am training for the Cleveland Marathon. I am only racing the 1/2. But I am training for the full. So until late February all long stuff is below 2:00 duration.
I have a pair of some old Nike Gortex snow running shoes. I rarely wear them. The weather has to downright suck. Today counted in the suck category. 2ply coolmax socks. running shorts, tights, wind pants. Up top I have a Patagonia base with zipper, a light fleece top, and a wind and rain jacket. Sunglasses with a light tint lens so I could keep my eyes wide open, a fleece hat, and 2 pairs of gloves. I put it all on and head down to the street, press play on my minidisc player, and begin to run. I am comfortable. I love the point in a work out when you decide that this is gonna work out.
I headed into Forest Hills Park.
Forest Hills was John D. Rockefeller's old haunt. The park is big, and stretches into two cities. I am able to spend a lot of time on trails and away from traffic. The downside to this park is the poverty that surrounds it. Really, poverty is always a downside. The contrasts to the enormous wealth that had been acquired by the man who had once called this land his home is disturbing to me.
The snow has left only faint silhouettes that surround me in black and white. The trail is covered with fresh fallen snow.
The only encounter with other people I had was at the top of the hill as a bunch were out sledding. JDR had his house at the hilltop. It burned down after he left for NY. I can't find the hint of a foundation. so it is hard to picture. Anyhow, the view is one of the best in Cleveland, and the run down the hill is fun. No sled for me, and I stayed on my feet.
I stayed out for 1:23 and ran 6.59 miles. Those were some tough miles.
Thai food for dinner.
1 hr on the bike. Family Guy is not my favorite show, However, Stewie dancing with Gene Kelly was great.
And that is Sunday in January in Cleveland Ohio. I did what I had planned.
"When the storm flies and the wind blows
Go on at a steady pace".
By the way, congrats to E-speed on the 50k PR. Unbelievable.

4 comments:

B Bop said...

Running in the snow is grand!!

Send E. Snow and Sasha to Miami for "the glove?" not a bad idea. I think the reason Snow is still around is for intangibles; particularly leadership (both on and off floor). Myself, I'd like to see Snow stay in Cleveland. I think Drew Gooden would have been nice trade bait, but Ferry seems intent to keep him around. Say we pick up "the glove," I still don't think we can compete with Phoenix or Dallas, so if we do split up the team I think we need to make a move that will put us up there with the best teams in the west.

qcmier said...

Wow, I haven't been around Forest Hills Park for a run in a looong time. Maybe because I always like Lakeview cemetary better.

B Bop said...

i think Mike Brown might read your blog!! seeing how he decided to stick Daniel Gibson into the starting lineup tonite. gotta say I like the results thus far.

Charlie said...

Sasha was busy displaying his talents. He may have more value than I thought. Playing behind LBJ he never will get much time.
L'Bron likes Drew.

Allen: The cemetery gets most of my time round here. Forest Hills is best in the snow. It kind of cleans it up.