Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Bike upgrade!




My race bike is a 2001 Giant OCR 2. I bought it on July25th of 2001. I had the bike on layaway for 2 months before getting to take it home for a ride.
We rode our first race together on Aug. 29th at the Ashtabula Sprint Triathalon.(Not a mis spell, that is how the event spells our sports name)
I have done a fair share of races on this bike including two 1/2 Iron distances. The bike has been very reliable and held up its end of the deal.
Its frame is aluminum and very light. The components are cheap sora parts. The fork is chrome-ole. The bike was never a problem, but I always promised the full make over. I figured for Ironman it deserved better.
I began after the season ended by doing a section a month
Step 1 was the drive train. I went with 105 components. 53/39 and 25/12 rings. Solid, race worthy, and more in line with my budget.
Next came the wheels. Shimano R550s. 16/24 bladed spokes Got em on eBay from the Bike Authority. Another great deal.
My next move was the front end and brakes. The choice of bar and brake style was made after winning an auction on the specialized bullhorns bars and carbon tektro 5.0 brake levers.
The profile carbon strike aero bars and dura ace bar end shifters were end of season close out prices. The brakes were eBay again.
I chose a Thomson set back seat post and flipped it forward to a better aero position.
The fork is carbon fiber and feels about two pounds lighter than the old fork.
The saddle(San Marco trigel and peddles(Look Keo) had been picked up during the season.
The frame and headset are the only original parts.
Taking the time in building my bike back up has been a lot of fun. Every thing on the bike was chosen and installed by me. I know this bike inside and out.
It is not my first bike. It is not the best bike. It is not an expensive bike or the latest model.
My Little Giant is just my bike. Same frame, all new parts. Built with love, and built to last.
Come on and let the good times roll...



4 comments:

JenC said...

Sweet ride! I'm going to overhaul mine soon too. Good riding times ahead for both of us!

The Blights said...

Very nice!

Wish it would warm up again so we could get outside! I have a new bike too and can't wait to see how she feels on the road!

Jodi said...

I am so jealous that you can do all those modifications on your own. That's my goal for this year- learn more bike maintanance!

:-)

Jodi

Anonymous said...

Great work.