Saturday, December 15, 2007

Something had to happen

So here it is December 14th, the eve of my IM training start. I leave work feeling a bit pissy(not for any real reason, just felt that way). I stop at the bank, loose my bus pass. Purchase another in anticipation of heading to the pool. Arrive home, and decide not to run or swim. I just felt down. maybe a little depressed. I am not sure why. I think I was just having a spell of loneliness.
The goofy part is that my solution was to further isolate myself. I stayed home on Friday to clean my home, and do some laundry. A thought kept going through my brain as I cleaned. "Something has to happen. I am not inspired."

I cleaned everything. The place looks great and I am feeling very cozy now. As I woke, I felt as though my house was in order. I felt ready to begin. Not a 100%, but enough to get out the door so to speak.

As I set up the trainer, the phone rang. It was Kurt and Michelle my comrads from Ironman UK. Michelle was passing thru Cleveland on her way to Toronto to visit her family. We made a plan to all meet at Tommy's Restaurant or the Coffee shop after my ride. I got on the bike and peddled away while watching "Who Killed The Electric Car".

After my workout, I was hungry, so we settled on Tommy's. The last time I ate with Kurt and Michelle I had to eat quiche at the IMUK awards. Today I was able to stay vegan.

Being able to start my IMKY training with a visit from my co-UK competitors was exactly what I needed. A chance to look back and look forward with the people I became an Ironman with. Kurt is doing IMUSA while Michelle will be in central America.

After they left, I got dressed for a run. I Secured a ride to Tri swimming for tomorrow, and scampered off in to a wet snow for a5k round the south campus area.

My body is feeling ready for another 259 days of training. My mind is getting there.

To further fuel my fire, I noticed that Jodi and Trisaratops had made their entry into Steelhead official. I was inspired, and now my entry is official.

Michigan this year has been a right of passage for my teams. The Tigers, Pistons, and Wolverines all had to be beaten before the big show could begin. Unfortunately The cavs, Bucks, and tribe all lost the final games. For me after conquering Michigan I will be headed to Louisville for the main event. Since my goal does not include winning, I should be fine.

6 comments:

B Bop said...

After one of RR's swim clinic's it would be great if you'd join me for pancakes over at the cafe. I'd be happy to give you a ride home afterwards. Of course, this would entail you sitting around (or working out) for 2 hours after swimming.

I've gotta register for Steelhead....

Charlie said...

DO IT! Steelhead! Everyone else is doing it.
I don't mind waiting round. I could probably go for a run during your session.
Must eat pancakes.

Jen said...

Dude! Did you get your prize yet??? What is it?

Charlie said...

I am still waiting....

B Bop said...

Pancakes...next month?? They will be worth the wait...

E-Speed said...

hey now enough with the Michigan bashing!

Glad you are feeling better! You'll like Steelhead. Loved the pier start!