Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Far Off Distant Shore


It is not everyday I am able to leave work early. With the slow week, it was not important for me to stay at work.

So with a free Thursday afternoon, I am doing some laundry and running job searches. I have been thinking I need a change, so search I will. I did come back toward food service in '04 as a transitional job.
In '03 and '04 I was working in a recording studio as an engineeer. I spent most of my hrs recording rap/americana/folk acts and doing remote sessions with classical and gospel musicians. I had just come out of school having lived on the deans list and doing a Production Internship with Telarc Int. The future seemed bright as I rocketed forward in my career as an audio engineer.

The studio I worked for was a very cool room with some very nice gear. The hours were erratic and pay was poor. Security was often a MAJOR concern for me as many of my sessions were very late at night. Some of the clients and their management/posse raised my concerns. One night while I worked with a group, the clients' friend's broke into and robbed the office. I was fortunate as they avoided robbing the actual studio where I was working. The thought of standing between the thieves and the high end recording gear still leaves me with strong reservations about returning to the industry.

I did stay on for about a month after that, but eventually was unable to justify the personal and professional sacrifices made to keep a job that left me feeling paranoid. I was no longer employed by a local studio.

After sucking up my pride I accepted a job to manage a coffee shop near the justice center. Jobs were scarce in my industry and I needed income. Soon after that my fiance' broke off our engagement. My life was a little f'd up and I was drinking a lot.

After about 7 months back in the service industry and not a lot of opportunity in music surfacing, I accepted an offer from my current boss. Earning potential was increased and the environment was a bit more creative. My co workers were/are an amazing group. The move was very positive. I absolutely needed the environment and support Rocco's has provided me . It has become very comfortable and I enjoy going to work in the morning. However, something remains missing for me. I am lacking fulfillment of my own professional path

I am wanting to return to the audio industry. Working on the CD has fueled my desire along with the knowledge "Anything is Possible"that was strongly reaffirmed during Ironman. Music is my passion.

My job quest this time will reflect the patience learned during Ironman. Out of school I took the first opportunity offered me. The pressure to find something more secure became hurried and panicked with the coming wedding and increased inconsistency of the studio I was working for.
As I start my search, I know that my current job is one that I like. That security will allow me more selectivity in my hunt. It also allows me to take my time in making the right choice.

The tough pill to swallow is that I will have to open my search up to the possibility of relocating.
Of the megaopolis cities, Chicago would be choice #1.

6 comments:

B Bop said...

I'm dusting off the resume as well. Good luck in your search. Chicago is a great town...but I'm kind of partial to you finding something in Cleveland.

Charlie said...

That would be ideal.

GP said...

All the best on your search! Cleveland wouldn't want to lose you, but sometimes duties-to-be call.

triguyjt said...

charlie..
this is a very important time in your life and I hope you have a chance to explore many things and if moving from cleveland helps you find the path..then you gotta do what you gotta do.
all the best. keep training. Louisville is approaching.

Anonymous said...

Charlie, where'd you get this photo? It looks like the view from our hood up here in Evanston. Cool!

We're (selfishly) hoping Chicago is the benefactor of your search. :)

Susie

Mary Sunshine said...

Hi Charlie,

Nice music!

I wish you peace and joy in your search for the right place to be.

Mary