Monday, November 12, 2007

I have the worst job!

According to an article in The Cleveland Plain Dealer, my job is ranked as the worst job by The University of Massachusetts's. Jobs are ranked by benifits, salery, and retirement plans.

Some how, barrista is worse than solder in Iraq, Afghanistan, or any other place on earth that Americans are seen as a threat.

I don't know why, but I thought it kind of offensive that this report should appear on veterans day.
Have we really become so wrapped up in the importance of personal wealth that we think that my day of work is worse than a 21 year old kid who has had his leg blown off by a roadside bomb during a 15 month tour.? His second.

My job is great I rarely complain about it. The job is fun. I enjoy being there.
I don't believe I would enjoy being in a war.

I base little value on wealth. I have the things I need and more. I live simply, and I am happy.
I have freedom with my job. I have flexibility that enables me to to follow more meaningful pursuits. I spend my work day amongst friends. I don't believe for a second that my job is a bad one.
We are a nation at war.
I have it pretty good.

So any way, I guess what I am sayin' is, "if you would like to thank the people that do the worst jobs in our culture, don't thank me.

5 comments:

B Bop said...

Well said.

Jen B. said...

Indeed.

tracie said...

I second, wait third that! :)

B Bop said...

Yes, looks like we are in different clinics. I'm a once a month-er. You need directions to some tasty pancakes??

Jen said...

Mmmm... tasty pancakes...