Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I have to admit

When I saw the results for my last race I was disappointed. I felt I had put in a good day and everything clicked as it was supposed to. I felt like I had raced well.

The results by the numbers were good. Swim PR, The bike was solid, and my run was strong. I felt like I was getting stronger as each discipline wore on.

Within my age group however I was no. 14 of 15 athletes. Where had I failed?. Why must I always be at the back of the pack? Has all of my hard work this winter just made me 14 instead of 15?

Well, Jen Collister reminded me how tough my AG was, and Bbop reminded me that this was just a prep race for IM.
These thoughts reminded me of my race mantra "Run your own race".
I feel better about the results now. I really did meet my own goals.
The only thing that lingers is a billion mosquito bites.
I itch.
But I will no longer bitch.
Thanks you.

5 comments:

B Bop said...

I understand not wanting to finish near the back of the pack and something I constantly have to remind myself of is not to forget about my A race as I line up for my other races. If I would have been at this one in your AG, I'd more than likely have finished 16 out of 16. Once you cross the finish line in the UK, this little race will be the furthest thing from your mind.

Jen said...

Charlie, I understand you're bummed, but the first thing I noticed when I saw those results was that the playing field was way tipped! 2:41 is not a typical back-of-the-pack time. In most other races (not even necessarily larger races, just any other race), your time would have put you much further up in the pack. That said, it is YOUR race. Your bike and run times, in particular, were solid (not that the swim was anything to sniff at, mind you!).

If it makes you feel any better, look at the results for some comparable races, and imagine that some of the people from those had raced Maumee Bay. They would have made a long list after your name

:-)

E-Speed said...

funny if I was Itching I would be Bitching! :) I hate mosquito bites!

Great job at Maumee!

Janet Edwards said...

I hate mosquito bites.

Seriously your focus is on ironman training and this was not your A-race. You did a great training race and come UK, you will be ready to rock!!! You are in one tough age group!

qcmier said...

Nice job at Maumee Bay. Many triathletes, including myself, always believe we can do better at the races. Maybe that's one of the reasons we keep training and racing.