Thursday, April 12, 2007

I am a fan

Triathlon season in the northern hemisphere has begun. CTC triathletes have already begun to post great races. the Boston marathon is monday. Opening day is tomorrow......Kinda. Due to a lot of snow and the gamesmanship of the "human snow delay", Mike Hargrove(as a player he was known as the human rain delay because of his ability to drag out time, making adjustments at the plate). The tactic would really keep the pitcher of balance and skrew up the rythem of the pitcher.

As we train, we are we are thrown a steady diet of pitches. The weather here on the great lakes throws curve balls, change ups, sliders, fastballs, Knuckle balls, Spitballs, it brushes you off the plate, and once in a while it just beans ya. Drills you in the ear peice. The kind of pitch that makes your batters helmet ring for weeks due to the sustained echo in your head.

Cleveland is harsh, and as Bloggister wrote, April is the cruelest month.

The need to make adjustments in training is constant. My wardrobe is immense right now. I have gear for every thing. I am not ready to put anything into storage. This week I have run in every variable of clothing. My trainer remains front and center in the living room. Workout times are planned according to the bus schedules.

As summer approaches so will thunderstorms and heat waves. I have run very few perfect weather races in my life. It is just the way it is. Weather changes often in Cleveland , Ohio

The tribe have been temporarily relocated to Milwaukee to play under a dome this week due to mother natures Cy Young performance.

I am not a dome fan. I think the records are all screwed up due to domes. No distiction is made. It is controlled. Track records are distingushed between indoor and outdoor, but not baseball or football.

If Ironman were run in the Mall of the Americas it wouldn't be Ironman. Triathlon is about remaining flexible and rolling with the punches. Triathlon demands that you be prepared to deal with any and every obstacle in your path if you want to finish.

What seems so frustraiting to so many people I talk to, is a great opportunity for me to develope my mental strength. In endurance sports we get very few chances at an "A" race thru the year. Weather is always a factor. Our races are shaped in part by the weather, but our races should not be decided by the weather. Unless the RD says so. I need to be prepared.

Anyhow, this being the night before the "official Opening day" here in Cleveburg. I say "Go Tribe" and "Good luck Boys". I will be following the BA's, ERA's, Wins, and Losses. I will pontificate from time to time on what move Shapiro and wedge need to make. I will demand that some retire or be traded. I will wonder why the wonder boy of the farm is stuck in Akron, while some stiff is sleeping in left field. I am a fan of baseball and I look forward to the season ahead.

This year however my heart is with all of you. My hopes are for Ironman finishes, PRs, BQ's first races, Marathons, and short course success. My hope goes to all of you for safe travels across highways, mountains and oceans.

I look forward to following all of your successes and struggles. I look forward to hearing how we all deal with adversity and overcome our personal weaknesses.

I am reading the sports page here in blogland. I am following your races.
If you are ever in a race and think "does any one care if I finish in 138th place of the stinkyvill 5k?". Know that I do. I am rooting for all of you. I am a fan. I hope I get a chance to meet all of you during our travels. Have a great season. May we all find peace.

5 comments:

JenC said...

Nice post Charlie! It is a great attitude to have.

B Bop said...

wow....perfecly said. and i will be following the ironman UK this year...

Papa Louie said...

I'm a fan too! Have a great race season.

Janet Edwards said...

Great post Charlie!! Go tribe and love your attitude!!

qcmier said...

Cheers to you too.

Go Tribe!!!