Sunday, April 22, 2007

"Race to Remember" recap

Following a week of steady training, a gig, a Peace Action board meeting, and of course, work, I rolled into Friday knowing I had earned a rest day. I left work and headed to indies(Indian food) for some tasty food. I stopped at the bank to deposit my check and took the train home.

Friday night some of the Coventry locals threw a party. Keg of Dortmunder Gold and some great food. The women(Julia) cooking everything made lots of vegan food specifically for me. The party included an Art Piece hunt. I found a DVD of my friend XELA whom I produced a CD for a few years back. I also found a some glass that had been blown by my friend Tack. Very fun party with lots of old friends. The only thing that bothered me was the Turduckin. Shove a duck into a chicken and shove both smaller birds into a turkey. Deep fry it.......
Is anybody else really creeped out by this?. What is wrong with Americans?.
I left before these 3 birds were defiled.

Saturday I set off to Mayfield Hts to meet up with 2 Jacks and Adam for a little 67 mile ride followed by a 1 mile brick run. I am now bright red...I need to buy some sunscreen.
I had Thai for dinner and had a last minute gig at the Barking Spider. The Spider is my favorite place to play. Full house.
2 gigs this week. Both of them positive. This makes me happy.

This all brings us to race morning.
"A Race to Remember" is a 10k/5k that runs through the Flats in downtown Cleveland. The race benefits the Alzheimer's foundation.
The morning was perfect. Sunny and warm. I rode my bike to the race.
Pre race was good. Said "hello" to Daisyduc, TriSaratops, and Roger from CTC. Had some personal time in the water closet. I met Dane and lined up at the start.
Because the race was chip timed I lined up deep in the field. The bell sounded, and we were off.
My plan, move forward through the crowd and hold 8 minute miles.
My only concern was fatigue from yesterdays ride.

At mile3 my pace was right on and I was fighting through the fatigue. My mental focus was steady and I felt negative splits could be a reality.
To my surpise the next split was very fast...to fast....the 4 and 5 mile markers never showed. I just dug in till the finish.
Chip        Clock        Pace
43:56.45 44:28.70 7:05/M
Not an April Fools joke this time.
The course was cut short because a lift bridge had been raised for a barge.
I mapped out the course on Google earth and found it to be 5.58 miles. My actual pace was 7:52 mile.
I did what I wanted to do.
I rode home. I watched The Cavs do what they wanted to do.
Good races were also had by everyone I talked to.

Final Note
Please respect what you eat. It gave its life so you can have yours.
Shoving multiple animals into one another is not my idea of respect.
Say "No" to Turduckin!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, dear! The turduckin... horrible. What IS wrong with people??? Bad enough to kill animals to eat, but then to do THAT... I can't even totally pinpoint why it's so gruesome, but it is. Oy vey.

Congrats on the great race this morning! Especially coming off that long ride yesterday--nice work :-) I'm watching the Duel in Pool races on TV right now, feeling like my time might be better spent at the pool. But we've got nasty storms coming in, so I think I'm going to stay put for the evening. It's a study in good swimming form!

E-Speed said...

great job at the race Charlie. That's too bad they had to cut it short. Hopefully everyone still ran the same course though.

Papa Louie said...

Well, you ran what you wanted to run. Good for you!

JenC said...

I don't know, 3 meats in one sounds interesting...JUST KIDDING! I'm sorry you had to endure that. I promise to not ever prepare or eat a Turduckin!

Sorry your race was cut short, but great job on the pace!

Spokane Al said...

A turduckin - that is a bit of overload for even us meat eaters.

Congratulations on a solid race.

qcmier said...

Sorry I couldn't make your gig. I've heard it was awesome.

Janet Edwards said...

Sounds like you had a great race. It was quite a wonderful morning for running!!!