Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Something new to my routine

I thought I should try something new today. I am hoping to make it a regular practice.
Back when I was an able bodied athlete, I would often ride my bike to work. It was a 6.1 mile trip downtown. It was one heck of a way to wake up in the morning as I would roll out of the heights, down the hill and through the heavy traffic. Once I had a nasty crash during a rain storm while the morning was still dark, but I mostly enjoyed the quick workout prior to working. I thought I should try to replicate that.

Yesterday I grew concerned that I am not getting enough time on the hand-cycle in. I am swimming great, improving rapidly on the racing chair, and seem to be adapting to a lifting routine for the winter. One area though that isn't seeing enough work is the bike. Ironically this is where I need the most work. My race in the spring is a marathon on the hand-cycle. I am hoping to finish in under 2 hours.This would be a huge improvement. I have reason to believe that I am capable of this because I will be coming into the race in much better shape and much lighter.  But I also know that if I am to improve on the hand-cycle, I will need to ride the hand-cycle. So this morning I woke up, brushed my teeth, put the bike on the trainer and did a 30 minute spin prior to coffee. It felt good. I will do this again tomorrow, though I am hopeful my new tires arrive and that I can head out for a long ride too.

No comments: