Tuesday, June 16, 2009

new habits

While training for Ironman, my run mileage usually remained between 20-30 miles per week. My long run was the important run and topped out at 2.5 hrs. Brick runs were also mandatory. Most of my other runs would be 30-45 minutes. My pattern was 3days on, one day off. Biking dominated my training for the Ironman. If the choice was bike or run, I had to bike.

I am now in the process of changing that pattern to better adapt my legs to longer runs. I am reducing off days to 6 on, 1 off. Most runs are 45-60 minutes. Long runs are much longer. I am refocusing all of my training with the goal of a 50mile trail race. As long runs grow longer, I will add days off. This will be most true when I attempt back to back long days. I doubt I will do a 5 and 4 hr weekend, but a pair of 3hr runs may be the planning.

Right now I am getting my general fitness up to speed. I also still have some pounds to loose. 188 is a lot of extra weight to carry, I could save a lot of energy by loosing10 or 15 . I think the 175 range is perfect for me and attainable in a healthy way.

I have been running sans mp3 player now for a few weeks. On trails this seems like a good idea. My local trails are in urban parks. It is good to be alert. I have seen coyote and been chased by wild dogs. I really want no surprises. I also find it is one less thing to worry about.

Another new discipline has been the use of hand held water bottles for every run. I picked up a nice one made by Nathan that has a pocket and handle. It is much simpler and more comfortable then the fuel belt I have been using. I am looking into a racing vest with a bladder. That costs a bit more and is not important yet, so I will wait.

Changing all of my habits and relearning everything I know about going long is fun. I am really enjoying this new focus and I am very excited about a new goal.

That said, a new iron distance triathlon has been scheduled for next September at Cedar Point....about an hour away.......Hmmmm.

1 comment:

triguyjt said...

going long is a hoot!!!!

this cedar point iron..i hear rumors about it too....has it been announced??