Monday, June 22, 2009

Home course advantage

Last week I ran for 6 days straight for the first time in years. This week I will continue that trend. The off day is Thursday. Friday I will run four miles, Saturday two, and Sunday I will run a 10k around the Shaker lakes area. My goals for the race will be to see where my fitness is at two weeks into structured training.
"A Most Excellent Race" is a local 10k that was started by my current boss Brendon Walton. It is a fund raiser for Camp Cheerful, a residential camp for children with disabilities. Just before the race start, kids from the camp participate in a fun run as all of the racers cheer. I have shed a tear twice for this event. When I ran this race in 1998 I was talking to Jen just after the race. I asked "How did ya do?".
She said, "I won."
The following year I had one of my personal best races. I don't recall the time, I do remember out racing some fast runners.
The race course has changed since then, but it still remains in the area that I have run regularly for 18 years. I went to elementary school two blocks away. I will spend a few miles on it today. This is my home course. I have good memories going back to '93 for this race. Should be fun.

No comments: